Problem with locked out accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by captainbeefheat, Feb 27, 2007.

1. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

Hi guys having a spot of bother with the powermac at work and hoped someone would be able to help.

Basically a long while ago there was a problem with the computer in that no one could log into the computer. Someone came accross from another department and seemingly sorted the problem out. New accounts were created.

However the account you cluldn;t log into had around 300GB of data on it which is still locked out and you canot it seems see the account when you go to login. In users you can see the folder but all the files are locked out it seems. It does appear possible to trash it all with a admin password but I would ideally like to check there is nothing in there I need before hand.

Does anyone know a way of doing this. I have a admin account.

2. djdawson macrumors member

djdawson

You could change the ownership of the files via the Terminal and your admin password using the "sudo chown -R username * .*" command from the user's home directory. That way the files would be owned by the account owner and you could access them normally. You can do a "man chown" for more details on this command.

I think you could also use Target Disk Mode to access the files, but you'll need another Mac and a Firewire cable to do that.

HTH - Good luck!

3. beefy23 macrumors member

In the absence of another machine nearby that you could use, the suggestion above seems to be the quickest route to get to the files

4. captainbeefheat thread starter macrumors regular