Problem with Microsoft Office X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gdavid, Feb 28, 2005.

1. gdavid macrumors newbie

I am having issues with Word documents that I write in Microsoft Office X on my mac then send to our varsity printery which opens them on a PC with Word 2003. I run the compatibility report before I send it and it says that its fine. They can open it ok but there are little things that aren't the same as in my version on the mac. Like with graphs from Excel that I have inserted as objects the y-axis labels are missing. Have run the compatibilty report on the graphs and it says they are fine too. Also have tried just copying and pasting the graphs into my Word document, and copy and paste special as a picture. Neither of these help. Has anyone had similar issues or have any other ideas on what I could try to fix this.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Tried copying and pasting all the text into a brand new doc, and then inserting the graphs? You may want to take a screenshot of the graph as well, or export it as a picture so Word will do a better job not ***** up the formatting.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Save it as a PDF and send the PDF to the varsity printer?

4. skp574 macrumors 6502

I have a PC word document with an embedded Excel sheet. When I open it up under Mac Office 2004 is doesn't display properly: it crops the Excel sheet. Also the margins are screwed. Textboxes are off the page, etc. Again no compatibility issues.

So I now have to redo the files so I have Mac versions, as these are templates which are used for quotations/invoice and get used on a daily basis.

Yep, Mac Office has some nice features over the PC version, but why can't it share the same rendering engine as its PC counterpart. Or is that Microsoft just being difficult?

5. skp574 macrumors 6502

Also why I think of it... why when in Excel, 8 point text looks so blocky I can't read it, even at 100%. I have to zoom to greater than 125%. Then I can't see the whole sheet without horizontal scrolling, which defeats the point of the widescreen display.

I can read it fine on a PC screen at 100% and it fits on the screen. That's really annoying when you also have the crappy floating properties toolbox in the way. As soon as you move over it is goes solid and hides the sheet underneath. Why can't it be a toolbar which is fixed at the top of the screen under the menu bar horizontally not vertically?

6. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

You know what's really ashame?

FIRST, that you guys have to deal with this crap.

SECOND that the people handling the MS Office version for OSX haven't corrected these and many fundamental issues/problems/bugs. Don't they have a real world testing department? It's just nuts! These are NOT unique problems, these are EVERYDAY issues and you'd think they would've put the effort into addressing them before they actually publish the product.

~e

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    This drives me nuts too when I'm working at home. I wondered if it was something to do with the default fonts that both Excel versions used. It comes up as being MS San Serif when I first open it? Depending on the size of the sheet, I tend to go to 125% (and resize the columns since they seem much wider) and go back to 100% when I send it back to the PC. If you find an answer, let me know

I like the floating toolbar since once I start working, I don't usually change fonts/colours so I can just close it again til I need it and use that screen space for my iTunes controller!

8. gdavid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, saving as a pdf solved the problem. The y-axes labels showed up both on the pdf on my mac and on the printing departments PC.

9. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Yup... PDF is the future. It's a great Format.

~e

10. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

My PC-using friends (if you can call them that :p) are always asking me to make PDFs for them. I love how OS X has it built in.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah! :) I've even seen recently that more people are giving presentations at conferences off of PDF files instead of directly using PPT. This was new to me this year. It *is* a low risk strategy, though. But, em, the last time I tried it, one should be aware, I made a pretty PPT file with figures and nice backgrounds and fonts, and it printed to a 55 meg PDF! :eek: Yeah, I took my iBook with me for that presentation. ;)