Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eleventhree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Hey guys, I seem to have gotten myself into quite a little unfavorable situation. My computer was going through some irregularities so I decided to reinstall the OS. I popped in my Mac OS X 10.4 Disc 1 disc and proceeded. I later found out that my Disc 2 was no where to be found, and that my computer would remain at a standstill until I find Disc 2. So I tried to use the one Tiger DVD that came with my other Mac, but that didn't work.

Is there anything I can do? My girlfriend has Mac OS X 10.4.2 Disc 1 & 2; would the Disc 2 of 10.4.2 work with my current re-installment of 10.4?

And lastly, do you think I could bring my Mac to the Apple Store and see if they have a corresponding disc, so that I may finish installing the OS?

If you guys/gals have any advice or thoughts, they are very much welcomed

Thanks.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Disc 1 should have the Core OS on it.. or at least it did with 10.2 and 10.3. If you select none of the other options (printer drivers, xcode, etc...) you should be able to install OS X + BSD subsystem with only disc 1.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
eleventhree said:
Hey guys, I seem to have gotten myself into quite a little unfavorable situation. My computer was going through some irregularities so I decided to reinstall the OS. I popped in my Mac OS X 10.4 Disc 1 disc and proceeded. I later found out that my Disc 2 was no where to be found, and that my computer would remain at a standstill until I find Disc 2. So I tried to use the one Tiger DVD that came with my other Mac, but that didn't work.

Is there anything I can do? My girlfriend has Mac OS X 10.4.2 Disc 1 & 2; would the Disc 2 of 10.4.2 work with my current re-installment of 10.4?

And lastly, do you think I could bring my Mac to the Apple Store and see if they have a corresponding disc, so that I may finish installing the OS?

If you guys/gals have any advice or thoughts, they are very much welcomed

Thanks.

As the earlier post said base system is on disk , disck 2 general mac osx 9 and stuff. Anyway you can boot from DVD and then use the disk utilities from the instal menus to wipe the disk and reinstall. (May be a reboot after you make some changes to the HD)

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
After putting a new HD in my iBook and reinstalling OS X 10.4.2 - iBook edition, I can tell you disc 2 is required and cannot be bypassed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.