Problem with Netflix

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DVDSP, Jan 31, 2006.

1. DVDSP macrumors regular

I recently ordered "The Island" from Netflix. It shipped last Thursday and was due at my house on Saturday the 28th. I never got it and now Netflix is showing that it has been returned to them. I want to let them know that I never got it but I can't find anywhere on their website that will let me notify them.

Anybody know how to do this?

Thanks,

2. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

recently netflix has been very bad to us. It used to be drop the movies off on monday, they recieve them tuesday, get new ones wednesday. Now it sometimes takes 2 days to recieve them and 2 days to get them. Your best bet is so to call them and complain. There should be a link to contact them on the homepage. The last time we contacted them, they got their act together and did a really good job. Looks like we might have to call them again assuming its not the postal services fault.

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

Goto..

Your Account > Rental Activity > (Find movie in "Movies you Returned) Report Problem > I usually chose "unplayable"

or

Goto Help > at the bottom, "email customer service"

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

For about 2 weeks after Christmas, I had the same problem but now it's back to normal again. Although, this week they got two movies on Monday but aren't shipping them out until today. It might be that they're low on stock or that they're shipping from another location. NF doesn't give out a lot of info about why they do what they do.

One of my pet peeves is that I can't search for movies by the year they were released. It's especially a problem for foreign movies as the English name may well be different than the name it was released under.

5. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I switched to BlockBuster about a year into using Netflix. They play all kinds of games with your account if you start hitting their service hard. Say 5 per week? Obviously they make more money when you only do 1 or 2 movies a week. but the blatant lying became to much. Things like I get a shipping notice and days go by before I get it in the mail. (Initial average turnaround was a day once I received the notice.) Then there was my favorite. Send it back. A week would elapse and I e-mail them about it and lo and behold it pops up as received the same day. This happened multiple times, in one case I let it sit for 2 weeks before I e-mailed them.

I've found blockbuster to be much more responsive and as fast as Netflix when I first started with them and the added 2 in store rental coupons per month just makes it all the more sweeter.

I'd recommend trying them out or http://www.greencine.com I've heard good things about them as well.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Never had any issue with Netflix...I go through about 6 DVD's a week.

Send in on Monday, get em' on Wednesday, usually without fail.

7. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Same here. No games or blatant lying. In two years we've had two issues: Once, we didn't receive a movie they sent to us, and once, they didn't receive a movie we sent to them. We reported both through their webiste, and both were resolved without any problems.

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

i've complained about this numerous times in these threads.

i stopped getting 6/week the same they raised the prices. I get 3/week now if im lucky. and the shipping center is 20 miles away.

---
    edit: i just checked.. i sent 2 back on friday morning, and they haven't received them yet.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Guess I'm lucky. :D

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I jsut joined netflix a week ago, and have already received my second batch of movies yesterday. Will send them out on Friday and get three more on monday or tuesday. People also have to remember that the mail service doesn't work on Sundays, and thus there's no reason for Netflix to either.

11. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Its not the mail. I've done tests on this from various post office points in the mpls twin cites area. They have a distribution point within 15 miles of me. I've read the same thing over and over and over. There is a honeymoon period with Netflix where they will give you outstanding service. As in drop it in the mail Monday, they get it Tuesday, they drop it in the mail same day, and you get it Wednesday. Once the honeymoon is over you get shafted. This was the way it worked for me for about 3 months. Then things changed. I'm glad there are people out there who are getting their movies in a timely manner. I just can't claim to be one of them.

PS- There was also a lawsuit over this. NetFlix Lawsuit Settlment Deal

12. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, this method does not let me notify them that I never received the movie, but that is has been returned. All I can do is choose from a list of problems, none of which fit my scenario.

I tried that and it is also no help. Their "Contact Us" page is full of links to other pages I've already been to, but no way of actually contacting them (unless I'd like to make a suggestion).

It seems to me that somebody grabbed my movie in shipping, took it home and watched it and then returned it "for me". I'd like to let them know but they don't give me an obvious way to do that.

13. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I started a thread in late December about Netflix (how good is the service/my concerns and problems with the service).....so I joined around then and have been keeping track of the "time factor" of sending/receiving dvd's.
    I have the 2-out-at-a-time plan (started off as 1 at a time for the first 2 weeks). My wife and I have recently moved and are just now looking for jobs (been on a sort of travel-vacation since November) so we have lots of time to watch movies. We usually watch the movie shortly after we get it and take it to the nearby post office the same day.

I have noticed the following:

-Any time Netflix gets back a movie the day after I receive it (I get it Monday and send it back to them and they get it back Tuesday) they will not ship another DVD.....even though they state it will ship that day it always gets pushed back a day.

-Whenever both of my dvd's arrive back to them on the same day they state that 2 DVD's will ship out that day, but only one does. The 2nd one gets delayed until the next day, even though it is available.

-Every 6th DVD I return (rough estimate) always takes the max amount of days to return (arriving to them on the day that I can finally claim that it was lost in the mail when being sent back). So this results in me only being able to have 1 DVD out that week instead of 2. I use the same post office to ship these back each time.

-Several times I've had a movie that's supposed to ship and is in my will ship today slot (above the queue) only to get pushed back until the next day. The next day the movie then becomes unavailable and they do not know when they will have it again (Bodysong). This results in them moving the next movie up to shipping on the 2nd day, but it doesn't ship until the 3rd day. Since the first movie became unavailable....it turns into a 3 day process to get the next one in my queue that is available.

All in all I like the service. They have lots of music-video-artist DVD's, Documentaries, Short Films, and non-super-popular stuff which is what I want most. But some of the patterns I am beginning to notice concern me. Does anyone here know if the Blockbuster service will also let you rent games? I may consider switching to Blockbuster if it does.

14. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

consider yourself lucky. I just put two in the mail monday and just now I got an email saying they recieved them. The closest netflix center is a hour away but when you drop them off before the afternoon pickup they should have it by that same day and ship the new ones out the next. It just puzzels me.

15. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

i too was lucky for about a year and a half. :mad:

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Welcome to the world of throttling. Every online DVD rental co. does it.

I just cancelled my lovefilm.com subscription because it was getting ridiculous...

Basically, return them too quickly and they they don't make enough money from you. They would prefer that you kept a movie for two weeks.

17. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

now that you say that I just remember that I got a gift certificate for christmas for netflix. And the whole being slow thing started after I entered the gift certificate. Damn them!

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think the only hope is for Netflix to launch digital downloads. The bricks and mortar business model is just too expensive to operate. Of course that's no reason for their bait and switch tactics.

19. ToddW macrumors 6502a

I personally like netflix and don't have any problems. Send um on Monday and get um Wednesday and so forth. The two at a time deal is working for me pretty good. No probs what so ever.

20. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I had a dvd ship on Friday that is not estimated to arrive until the 10th....that's the next Friday. Hmmmmmmm.......

21. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I have never had any issues with Netflix in receiving any of my dvd's, they usually come arrive the next day they ship. Only one time 2 years ago they lost one dvd in their shipping..but I just went online and shipped another copy right off.

22. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

The service they are providing me keeps getting a bit worse. The last 3 DVD's that I've had in my queue (all available to ship) were supposed to ship that day and ended up being delayed until the next day......which is what has happened to a DVD that was supposed to ship today and is available. I'm still waiting on a DVD to arrive that is supposed to take a week for some reason (has already been shipped). And the last 3 DVD's I've sent back have all taken more than a couple of days to return to NetFlix (while they were almost always making it to NetFlix the next day for the first month I had the service).
    I'm not really ranting....I'll probably keep the service until I get all of the "must-have's" that I want and cannot find anywhere else.......but I'd just like to keep this thread going for anyone with questions/concerns about signing up for NetFlix.