Problem with new H264 spec for 5G

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dwishbone, Sep 14, 2006.

1. dwishbone macrumors regular

i just tried to rip some DVDs at the new standard. what am i doing wrong? this file looks and plays great but it wont copy to the iPod.
    my settings were in handbrake as follows

format: mp4
    codec: AVC/H.264
    fps: 29.97
    encoder: x264 (Baseline)
    Average Bit Rate: 500kbps
    2 pass encoding
    size: 640 x 272
    audio: english ac3 (5chan) (or 2chan)
    sample rate: 44100
    bitrate: 128

as far as i can tell these settings are exactly identical to what ive used before. the only thing that is different is the screen rez. i rip my videos in their original widescreen format (hince the 640 x 272). this should be withing the spec of what the new software can support (up to 640 x 480).
    so what am i doing wrong? it seems alot of other people are having problems since the update too.
    the only thing i can tell thats different on this than bought movies (from what people have posted) is that iTunes encodes its movies at 17000kbps or something like that. is my bit rate too low?

2. dwishbone thread starter macrumors regular

ive been doing more research...seems alot of people are having this problem...but some claim that they have gotten it to work?
    is it completely broken? is it just a fininky thing?

3. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

That's why I'm sticking with the old format. :D 320x240 all the way!

4. micha10589 macrumors member

micha10589

Hi, I tried myself to convert a video to the bigger resolution and although I think it should work it did NOT copy to my updated 5G iPod (1.2 update).

My specs are:
    AAC, Stereo (L R), 44,100 kHz, H.264 Decoder, 640 x 368, 16.7 Mill
    FPS: 30
    Datarate: 742.0 kBit/s
    Size: 640 x 368
    Simple Profile/Baseline, Streaming off

So does anybody know for sure that the larger video format will not work on the old, updated 5G iPod? (I have the 60 GB version).

I couldn't find any technical document by Apple explaining the 1.2 software update, maybe it's in there. Anyone got that?

5. phampton81 macrumors member

From Handbrake's forums

"If you're using H.264 at 640x480 you need to use the Baseline Low Complexity Profile (http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html) which Handbrake does not currently support.

MPEG-4 video should work properly though, at least it did for me...?"
    by Praedicator

6. micha10589 macrumors member

micha10589

Hi, I did not use Handbrake, I used Quicktime with the Baseline profile for the Conversion. That makes it so strange that it doesn't work. I will try a conversion with MPEG-4 video.

7. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

First off, you're not restricted to 640x* resolutions. If you're ripping a 2.35:1 DVD, why not go for 720x304? I've tried, tested and verified it. And yes, that's H.264.

Only the latest versions of Apple Compression, Quicktime and VisualHub currently support Low-Complexity Baseline Profile.

You could convert DVD->MP4 at outrageous bitrate on Handbrake, then export it to iPod in Quictime (It won't change the resolution).

Compression will only do 640x* resolutions (stupid)

VisualHub is pretty great to customize video.

8. ibglowin macrumors regular

You have to respect the Pixel limits for each codec!

H.264 has a MAXIMUM pixel limit (at least for the 5G) iPod of 76,800 (320x240) so anything under that will transfer and play on the iPod.

MPEG4 has a MAXIMUM pixel limit of 230,400 pixels on the (5G) iPod so any combination of screen width X screen height will work as long as your under the magic numbers.

The new ipods (5.5G) either have a higher screen resolution and can accept the new 640 x 480 size or somehow Apple is down rezzing the movie's you purchase into a seperate file specifically for loading onto your 5.5G iPod.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not a higher resolution screen.

The iPod just plays back the video at a lower resolution - it's easy to do. All 5G iPods support the new higher-resolution videos. When they play to a TV you see the full resolution of the new videos. There is no separate "iPod only" version of the movie, the iPod just downscales the 640x480 to 320x240 on the fly when you view the movie on the screen.

If you want to convert a video for the iPod using Quicktime Pro, you can't go fiddling with the settings - you have to use the default "Movie to iPod" export settings.

Currently Handbrake doesn't support the new version of the Baseline Profile Apple is using for the new higher-res videos. Once that's all fixed it will be plain sailing again.

10. ibglowin macrumors regular

That makes sense.

The new pixel size is going to look much better on a TV but it's going to mean way less stuff to put on your ipod even with the bigger hard drive.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That's why Apple changed the "video capacity" claims on the new iPods.

The old ones were 75 hours and 150 hours for the 30GB and the 60GB respectively. The new ones state 40 hours and 100 hours for the 30GB and the 80GB respectively.

They're big files too, a 20 minute episode of Scrubs came out at 224MB after I converted it from Handbrake -> 100% quality rip -> Quicktime Pro "Movie to iPod."

Looks good though.

12. ibglowin macrumors regular

I have some episodes of Prison Break.

Old episode size was 198MB and new episode size is now 480MB. This is for a 43 minute show!

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yikes, imagine trying to back that up. Only one show per CD (I don't have a DVD burner or external drive) but even worse would be the download times, on my dial-up connection it would take a whole day to download and that's if the connection stays at it's full pace the whole time.

Good thing we don't have any movies down here let alone TV shows, music videos alone are huge now.

14. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

Almost true. You are correct by stating that there is a maximum pixel limit on video files. But not any resolution under the "magic numbers" will work as there is also an issue with macroblocks. Read: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ar...o-ipod-video-formats-and-display-resolutions/

Also every video iPod (with FW 1.2) will play the new higher resolution H.264 videos. Again, you're not restricted to 640x* (4:3) but also 720x400 (16:9) and 720x304 (2.35:1)

There is no downressing involved with Apple's movies. The iPod will still scale every video to 320x240 but will output higher resolution to TV.