Problem with new iPod hard drive... please confirm for me

Discussion in 'iPod' started by john_satc, Nov 13, 2005.

1. john_satc macrumors 6502

I have a 30gig iPod 5g (video) and have been hearing noises from within my iPod a lot more than my iPod mini and old colour iPod. The noise sounds like the harddrive. It is a clicking sound. I first noticed it when I changed tracks / albums / movies etc. And at other times, like in the middle of songs, but rarely. I don't know exactly what the sound is as I don't know what moves inside the iPod or anything about hard drives etc. Around an hour ago I started hearing the clicking a lot. And now it wont stop at all. I played a song and could here the clicking, 2 clicks, then 2 second pause, then 2 clicks, 2 second pause, 2 clicks. This is still going on. Even when no song playing, the clicking continues. Only way to stop it is to turn the iPod off.
    Having just closely listened to it (put next to my ear) I can hear like a whiring sound (like hard disk moving ?) then it stops (sounds like powering down / giving up) then clicks, then pause, then hard disk starting again. Songs play but hard disk still makes noise. Should I take my iPod back and get it changed? If so I will take it in now Cheers

2. iZoom P5 macrumors member

I get the pings to with my 60 GB, but it hasn't worried me enough to get it exchanged quite yet. Still waiting to see if this is a widespread issue considering I've only had mine for about 3 weeks so far.

3. john_satc thread starter macrumors 6502

is it continuous? and how loud? I can hear mine when music is playing

4. the_freddinator macrumors regular

It might be a precursor to HD problems. All my iPods that broke (except the first one) started making that noise and then they would freeze/skip songs. Don't bring it in just yet, but be careful with it.

5. john_satc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for help.
    I went by the apple store and they restarted it and it was find. However, sitting here today , a week after it happened, the clicking has returned! Now I am really sure there is something wrong with it. It should not do that. But if I take it back, they will simply restart it (holding down select and menu) and send me on my way!