Problem with new mac mini... Internet

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jayeskreezy, Mar 18, 2005.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    Ok so I have a DSL internet connection in my house and last night I hooked up my new mac mini for the first time after installing the 1GB ram stick.

Well, everything was running quickly and smoothly until I got on the internet. I was able to post in some forums of macrumors and others I wasn't. This morning I tried to log into ebay and it wouldnt because the pages wouldn't load. The address bar on macs typically highlight blue as the page is loading, but it would only highlight the http:// and then just never load.

My question is why is this doing this? Is it because of the internet speed? We have a router hooked up in our house and whenever you use wireless some pages just don't load. We never have this problem on any other networks which makes me think that it's the speed of the internet connection, but I could be wrong. When my PC is hooked up directly to the source and not via router it works fine, but our wireless networks are still shady. I tried hooking the mac up directly to the dsl source too but it still had the problem like our wireless pc's do.

Is this a hardware issue or an internet issue?
    Some sites work perfectly but other sites just wont but it's not even all the time. Please let me know ASAP. Thanks yall!
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Have you setup your router to work properly with the DSL connection? Which router, whos the maker and what type is it? Who is your DSL provider? Did you have to sign up a single PC for this service, then put the MAC Address of that PC into the router?
  3. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
  4. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I would have the same questions. In addition, are there any cordless phones in your house?? Does the Mini have an AirPort card?? (seems like it does but gotta ask anyway) How many computers are connecting to the net at the same time?? Do you know the speed of your DSL connection??

I know the apartment above mine has a cordless phone and I need to switch the channel on my router very often or I get crappy connections. If you have several computers, this makes a connection slow as well. Or it could be the DSL connection is just too slow to handle more than one computer.
  5. Scartissue macrumors member

Dec 23, 2004
    If ur using AOL...

I'm having similar problems to you. Im so closer to solving them, but Im not there yet. here's a link that describes a similar problem

If you can find out how to set the size of MTU packets on a mac, for the love of God let me know! i'm so close, but cant do the final step.

Folow some of the links in that thread, and you'll learn more

6. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Yeah, when someone asks you a question so they know more so they can actually help, you answer them, not complain that no one has answered.
  7. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Reston, VA
    connect your macmini into the internet the same way the pc is connected. If you have problem you know it's the computer. If it works, then you know it's something else.

And by the way, in my opinion, I do think it was kinda rude of you to say... "anybody else" when varmit was just trying to help you out. If you don't like what he/she says... just don't reply to it, don't insult him/her for trying to help you.
  8. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    some of yall are SUPER sensitive on this message board...please stop taking someone's comments personally...

you dont know me and I dont know varmit...i wasnt saying their answer wasnt good enough...i was saying just what I said...anybody else (meaning does anybody else have an opinion on it too?)....since when do you take one opinion or idea and say it's the law??? stop whining...i only asked a question...i appreciated varmits help just as much as I appreciate anybody else's help... apologies varmit if you felt that was an attack on your intelligence and your innermost being...those werent my intentions, but my advice to you is to not take things said on a forum so least not when they are coming from jayeskreezy...I come to macrumors for information...not to hurt feelings...

well here is what happened...i connected the same way as my pc at home and it had that problem...i connected it the same way as my pc at work and I had no's probably something the internet speed

we have 3 computers set up on our router at home for the person who asked...i think it's the dsl speed...
  9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I know! I know!

Go to Network. Then choose to Show Ethernet (from the 2nd drop down box). Click on the Ethernet tab. Choose from the Configure drop-down box "Manually (Advanced)" I think you know what to do from there, ya?
  10. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Maybe related to this problem, maybe not I dunno...

But I noticed the Mac mini's AirPort reception sucked. I came from an iBook, which is reported to have the best AirPort reception of Apple's computers, so maybe I'm just used to the iBook's reception. Dunno. The Mac mini's reception gets about 1-2 bars here, while the iBook gets 4-5. I noticed the lower reception equals slower internet, because when I connect with my AirPort Express (to my router), it's noticeably faster.

Anyone else? (... sorry. :D)
  11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    The worse the signal, the greater chances of a packet dropping and needed to be retransmitted. If you have a 30% signal (meaning that 30% of the packets get through, IIRC) then it will take longer if only 50% of the packets are dropped or if you get a 70% signal and most are making it through.

I'm not sure that I'm right on the signal%=packet% but I DO know that the more packets dropped, slower connection, and that more packets are dropped at worse signal strengths.