Problem with Off screen window

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dubbz, Oct 22, 2004.

1. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I'm having a little problem with a window that seems to have gotten "stuck" offscreen. If I use Exposé, the window slides in for a moment, but if I click on it it slides back out off the visible screen area... :(

I had a second display connected previously and the window in question was placed on that screen. It's as if still belives I have the second screen connected...
    Unfortunately, I don't have access to a second display at the moment to see if that whould solve anything.

Is there any way to move, or somehow reset, the position of a window that I can't see or interact with?

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

do you still have a connector to the second monitor attached to the Mac? i noticed that when i leave the dongle (but not connecting it to any display) on my PB, the OS thinks the display is still there...

3. dubbz thread starter macrumors 68020

dubbz

No.. the only thing's connected are power and ethernet.

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

hmm... can you just log out and log back in and start over?

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Maybe there is a way to fix it under Displays in the Systems Preferences. Such as the detect displays, and it might shift everything back to one display when it finds only one.

6. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

If you are using firefox and see that window I have heard it is normal. In certain browsers you will get an off screen window.

Can someone confirm this?

7. dubbz thread starter macrumors 68020

dubbz

It doesn't have anything to do with Firefox*. It's the Language Reference window from REALBasic. The thing is that I had it displayed on the second display while having the main app on the first screen, and it seems like it didn't return to the first display when I disconnected the second display.

I've already tried messing around in the display settings, but there's not really much to do there...

As for logging in and out, IIRC, I actually restarted the PB a few days ago but it didn't seem to help. I'll try again when I get back home, just in case.

* = They've actually fixed the extra window issue in recent Firefox builds.

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

What happens if you go into ~/Library/Preferences and delete the .plist file associated with that app?

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

This should do it, I just came in here to mention it. I've tried this with other apps when this has happened, and it works like a charm when nothing else did.

Sometimes you can also go under either a Window or a View menu and there will be an option to tile the windows, which may also work.

10. tomato macrumors newbie

MIRROR YOUR DISPLAYS

Go to your display setting and mirror them, then the hidden window will be forced into the current live window.

Then go down a couple beers, you've had a rough day.

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

excellent suggestion. i think i was just imagining a rogue Finder window being off screen. if it's app related palettes, logging out won't fix anything.

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Once, when I started up Photoshop, the canvas window is posited right under the tool palettes, and I can't reach the bar on the top, and thus can't move the window. That sucked.

13. dubbz thread starter macrumors 68020

dubbz

There was a "Zoom Window" option that happened to maximize the lost window onto the visible screen. I can't believe I didn't try that one before :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help! :)

14. zenostrifer macrumors newbie

I had the same problem

I had the same problem as you. The background activity window in dreamweaver somehow got stuck off screen and for weeks i couldn't figure out what to do. I too had duel screens set up, and what happened was that i switched the arrangement of my two monitors, so the one that was on the left was now on the right. So the activity window, which was on the left of the erstwhile left monitor was impossible to access. I could see it in expose but that was all. I could not close it or re arrange it with a menu bar option.

After reading some of these posts I realized that i must have switched my orientation and for whatever reason the application did not get smart and move the thing over. I hope if anyone else is having the same problem in Dreamweaver that they find this and it helps, cause it drove me up the wall.

15. brog macrumors newbie

in system preferences -> display, choose a smaller resolution for your screen size. This should force all active windows to re-size to that resolution. When you put the resolution back to the original, the windows will stay small.

16. witt macrumors newbie

Use Spaces

This works if you can see any part of the missing window on-screen. Hit F8 to show your spaces screens, now you can drag the window back to the center of the screen using the part of the window you can see.

17. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I had this problem with iTunes just today! The green + doesn't work because that switches you to the minimized player and back. :( Yes, normally I'm on dual screens and everything is OK, but I am working remotely and don't have the second monitor. So, a quick google search and I found that <option>+<Green +> should over write anything that they have programmed for the Green + and restore normal functionality. I know for iTunes it worked perfectly. :D