Problem with Office 2004 and fonts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ibiza, Oct 18, 2006.

1. ibiza macrumors newbie

When I try and open one of the Microsoft Office programs it tells me that some of my fonts are corrupt or it won't open, the ball just spins the whole time. I had this problem ages ago and was told not to use fontbook but to use linotype fontexplorer instead as it was fontbook that was causing the problem. I had a problem today with my keyboard and in following the instructions given to me by Apple it's caused the problem to start again. So I need to stop fontbook from working and causing all these problems. I don't want to particularly use Microsoft office but my business invoices are done in Excel at the moment, so until I find another program to use I'm stuck!

Also in mail I have a huge gap between the name of the person sending me the email, then a group of lines including the subject and date before another gap and To: before a line and then the message from the email. This also happened before when I had a problem with the fonts. It's driving me nuts!!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Someone tells you that an Apple-supplied utility that tens of thousands of Mac users use everyday causes problems and you believe them? Font Book is not your problem. It you don't launch it, it does nothing at all. However, if you do launch it, it is a good little utility that will help you find those corrupt fonts. With the additional ability of allowing you to purchase fonts from Linotype's website, Linotype FontExplorer X is something of an iTunes for fonts.

3. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

You may have deleted certain fonts it needs to start up, actually a little work around in 10.3 for a similar issue in which apps did not start up was to launch font book, and then the programs would work like normal. You probably are missing certain fonts.

4. ibiza thread starter macrumors newbie

It was actually a few people on here who said that fontbook was the problem. I'm fairly new to using a mac so don't really know a lot about them!

How do I find out which fonts I'm missing then?
    All the other programs on the Mac work ok, the only ones not working properly are word, excel, powerpoint and mail. Word, excel and powerpoint won't open at all.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You read a lot of things on the Internet.
    Follow SFVCyclone's advice.

6. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

Make sure you have Arial, courier, futura, garamond, helvetica, times and universe, try loading as many of those as you have into fontbook, then try starting up any of those programs.

7. ibiza thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got all those fonts in font book but it's still doing it! Seems to only say that the 'C' fonts are corrupt. Once it's gone through about 15-20 of them being corrupt it opens up ok:confused: