Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littlekenneth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
I tried to use realplayer and Quicktime to open the AVI file, but i can't. I wondered if i should use something else to open it? if i need to, can you give me a pointer? Thanks for your time.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Most likely, the AVI file in question uses DiVX or XViD codec. You can download it free from divx.com (if you have Intel Mac, go to labs.divx.com and download beta).

fludie

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2006
you should either encode it with ffmpegx or use vlc
vlc opens all mac videos

Aramis

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
East Coast
nutmac said:
Most likely, the AVI file in question uses DiVX or XViD codec. You can download it free from divx.com (if you have Intel Mac, go to labs.divx.com and download beta).

When you say "free", do you mean free for the trial version? I do not see a full set of codecs for free on the labs.divx.com or dvx.com sites.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
you can also use Divx Doctor to easily convert .avi files to .mov files, allowing them to be played in Quicktime.

I prefer quicktime to VLC, vlc tends to shut down randomly (and isn't made by apple!)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Aramis said:
When you say "free", do you mean free for the trial version? I do not see a full set of codecs for free on the labs.divx.com or dvx.com sites.

The bundle comes with free codec and trial version of converter, etc. Just drag the resulting Applications/DiVX folder into trash if you are interested in the codec for QuickTime only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.