Problem with Optical Drive in MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamsen87, Oct 5, 2006.

1. adamsen87 macrumors member

Hi,

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem with their MBP, when I insert a disc it clicks really loudly twice and I have to press the disc in until only 1 cm sticks out.

Is something wrong with my drive or should it click like this? Does anyone have a audio clip on how their drive sounds?

I've put up the audio here what sound comes when inserting the drive
    http://media.putfile.com/Bad-drive

//Adam

2. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

When I insert a disk I need to press it in until about 1cm sticks out also. Mine, however, doesn't make that double clicking noise, but it does make noises similar to the one yours made before the clicks.

Seeing as how I'm new to apples, though, I can't really recommend a solution, but I guess you could call apple and show them the noise.

3. newyorkdoug macrumors newbie

Mine sounds the same

Thanks for posting this -- it sounds exactly like mine, so I guess that's reassuring. I took mine back to the dealer, who told me it was normal. He let me try a disc on some of the display models, which also made bizarre sounds. It would have been helpful to have some kind of note about this in the setup screen or something. It sounds really awful, worse than any other device I've ever owned.

4. View macrumors regular

Wow, this is strange! Because I'm on my second MBP just got it today because the other one had several dead pixels. This one I just got makes the exact noise as yours! However, the other one didnt make the noise! It is really annoying. I'm gonna see if they can fix it at the Apple store!

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

it's normal.

If you push it in very slowly, it takes it up a little farther than 1cm.