Problem with OS X? Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by millerrh, Jan 24, 2006.

1. millerrh macrumors 6502

Check out the screen capture.

This is the 4th or 5th time in a few months I've gotten an error like this. I'll run repair permissions from the OS X DVD and it will fix it. Then a few weeks later I get this type of error again. What do you think is going on? Should I reformat my hard drive? Or just keep repairing my disk from the OS X install DVD like I've been doing?

Attached Files:

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I never repair the Disk Permissions using another OS.
    Your Mac OS X-boot HD could be another build of Mac OS X than the CD/DVD, and therefore have different permissions definitions.
    Take, for instance, the Widget permissions on a later build of Tiger, compared to the retail Mac OS X 10.4 DVD.

So, for "repair permissons", I use the Disk Utility app of the booted system.

For File System checks & repairs (like your screenshot tells you), I boot into Single User mode, and repair the disk from there:
    Boot with < COMMAND > < S > pressed.
    You get a terminal-like black screen with white letters.
    Then type: fsck -fy < ENTER >

This does the verify and repair of the bootvolume.

With every "repair" type: reboot < ENTER >, and do the process all over again, until "the volume < NAME OF HD > seems to be ok" appears.
    Then, just type: reboot < ENTER >

3. millerrh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much! That did the trick. I'll have to write that down somewhere so I don't forget it.