Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alaibubu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
I purchased a $149 (shipping charges inclusive) hd enclosure from OWC, waited a month for it, emailed them and was told to wait. I emailed them again after 2 months and was informed that the item was returned back to them and that they had refunded my purchased. I was also told to reorder the item. I checked my credit card and noticed that they had only refunded $64. I emailed them again and they had this to say:

"All refused or return to sender orders will be subject to the greater of a $15.00 or 5% restocking fee. Original shipping charges are not refundable. In addition, refused orders will be subject to additional shipping charges incurred in the return and retrieval of the shipment to Other World Computing. International orders that are refused will be subject to local taxes, import and export fees, as well as the greater of a $15.00 or 5% restocking fee and return shipping costs."

I don't think it was my fault that the item was returned back to them. I suspected that they had forgotten to put my country's name on the address after checking the order status at their site and informed them about this.

Any suggestions on what I should do.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
I purchased a $149 (shipping charges inclusive) hd enclosure from OWC, waited a month for it, emailed them and was told to wait. I emailed them again after 2 months and was informed that the item was returned back to them and that they had refunded my purchased. I was also told to reorder the item. I checked my credit card and noticed that they had only refunded $64. I emailed them again and they had this to say:

"All refused or return to sender orders will be subject to the greater of a $15.00 or 5% restocking fee. Original shipping charges are not refundable. In addition, refused orders will be subject to additional shipping charges incurred in the return and retrieval of the shipment to Other World Computing. International orders that are refused will be subject to local taxes, import and export fees, as well as the greater of a $15.00 or 5% restocking fee and return shipping costs."

I don't think it was my fault that the item was returned back to them. I suspected that they had forgotten to put my country's name on the address after checking the order status at their site and informed them about this.

Call them and talk to the manager, and then the owner if no satisfactory response is forthcoming. If the problem was truly theirs make them pay for it. Find out the details as to why it was not delivered. Get all your documents as to when you first purchased it (confirmation emails, confirmation web pages after purchase, etc) and see if you did everything correctly.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
How to respond....

Hey there -- this is an instance that calls for some firm diplomacy! When you contact OWC, you must appeal to both their senses of (i) customer service and (ii) justice.

You should be able to get your money back, since you didn't do anything wrong. Here's an example of an e-mail exchange that I had with my university over a few dollars. I got my money back despite a clear and stated policy of not refunding money. Remember: be clear, rational, and professional.

My first complaint e-mail:
I am requesting a print credit request because the print quality was totally unusable.

I purchased E-Tokens specifically because the library offers a color laser printer, but I have never gotten a acceptable color print-out.

I intentionally waited a fair amount of time from the last time (when I had a time-sensitive assignment that had to be turned in as B&W), hoping that the printer would be maintained in some way to make it useable.

I printed one test sheet. To my chagrin and amazement, the output has actually gotten WORSE: in addition to the unaddressed problems of color banding and roller artifacts that ruined my first experience, the actual print area is not even aligned to the page!

I do not know who or what the problem is, but in my experience the E-Token system resembles less a convenient printing mechanism and more a scheme to bilk students out of their already meagre funds.

There is no excuse for this: the school has no shortage of inexpensive student labor where they could find someone who can do proper maintenance on the printer; nor does the school have the right to offer to provide a service conditioned on a non-refundable, non-redeemable, non-interest-bearing deposit and then fail to deliver the promised service.

I am sorry that the E-Token system for color printing has turned out to be useless, but it is not currently useable and I no longer have confidence that it will be useable at a reasonably foreseeable point in the future.

Consequently, I am formally requesting that (i) the E-Tokens from my February 13, 2007 print request be refunded to my account, (ii) the cash equivalent of the resulting balance of E-Tokens be returned to my student account in cash, in full, and (iii) that my E-Token account be closed.

Very truly yours,
[idea_hamster]

Their response -- which I expected:
[idea_hamster],

I have received your request for an etoken credit, and credited your account as you asked for the 1 color page. The school policy states that etokens are not refunded for cash. You can get help with using Netprint by coming to the Help Desk in 120 Computer Center.

Have a great Spring Semester!

My response:
Dear Ms. [__],

Thank you for your prompt attention to my credit request and for crediting my account for the E-Token that I used for the unusable color print. On both occasions when I have tried and failed to get an acceptable color print out of the color printer at the Gast Business Library, the ACNS personnel have treated my complaint with prompt courtesy and carried out their duties to the letter of stated policy.

I understand that the school claims to have a policy that they they do not refund E-Tokens for cash.

However, (as I am sure you are aware) [the computer center's] Mission Statement is "to provide high quality computing and networking services in support of the scholarship and work-related activities of the university community."

Additionally, [the computer center] has set forth the following Core Values:
"Excellence
Our goal is to excel in all our endeavors because we realize that high quality work will lead to satisfied customers and employees.
Integrity
Integrity is integral to everything we do. We function in a respectful, ethical, and honest manner.
Service
We are committed to providing services which best meet the changing needs of the university.
Teamwork
We believe teamwork is vital. We strive for high levels of cooperation, coordination, and communication with people and organizations."
(See http://[web_link]/about/mission_core.php)

Such mission and values are laudable and very much in the spirit of the school. Consequently, when I decided to try the E-Token system, I fully expected that the assets that E-Tokens would give me access to would be of a quality that could be used in my studies. Specifically, as an MBA candidate using the printing assets in the [library], I expected that the print output would be suitable to turn in an assignment for one of my classes. I do not think that my expectation was unreasonable.

Currently, MBA candidates can print 200 pages free of charge at the business school building, but these printers are all monochrome. Color printing, as you know, is expensive, and everyone, MBA students included, are price sensitive. Therefore, I was willing to try the E-Token system, since the school's E-Token printing offers color prints at $0.50 per page -- about half the cost of a comparable print at the FedEx/Kinkos location on Michigan Avenue. As I described earlier, my first attempt to use the color printer was a failure because the color was banded and uneven. My second attempt was also a failure both because the print quality was poor and the print was unaligned with the page. (For completeness, I have appended the text of my original refund request to the bottom of this e-mail, set off by asterisks.)

I understand that [computing services] may offer excellent quality throughout the university, and that I may simply be trying to use the one asset that cannot be kept up to standards. Why this would be the case, I do not know, but I recognize it as a possibility.

What is clear is that the E-Token system is of no value to me. For non-color printing, I can use the business school's printers for free and for color printing, the E-Token system is unreliable and seems to be getting worse. What is also clear is that there was no way for me to know this in advance.

Consequently, [computing services] should recognize that the best way to balance my needs with those of [computing services] in an ethical and honest manner that reflects the needs of the university, which includes both students and [computing services], would be to allow me to exit the E-Token system without further cost.

I do not know the rationale behind the general policy that E-Tokens are not refunded for cash. However, I think that whatever that rationale may be, my situation is sufficiently compelling to grant an exception.

Therefore, I am renewing my formal request that (i) the cash equivalent of the current balance of E-Tokens be returned to my student account in cash, in full, and (ii) that my E-Token account be closed.

You will note that I have copied [name], the Network Storage and Printing Team Leader, on this e-mail. Please do not take this as an attempt to "go over your head" or otherwise make your job more difficult. Rather, I understand that you are likely limited in what action you can take and that [he] may have a different perspective on our disagreement. Further, I believe that [he] would be interested to know of the issue with the [library's] color printer, and while I expect that there are communications channels that are designed to bring such an issue to his attention, my experience suggests that these channels may not have worked in this case.

Very truly yours,
[idea_hamster]

I got my refund. That's how you do it. :)

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Or if you're not getting anywhere with them, simply contact your credit card company and they'll likely reverse the charge and work to help you on this. I had trouble with a different online vendor recently that would not grant a full refund despite sending me a clearly defective item (which I returned to them via mail at my own expense). After getting nowhere with the vendor's customer service department, I reported it to the bank that issued my Visa card, and the bank promptly credited back the difference to my account within 48 hours.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Lancetx said it--go to your credit card company. They should provisionally reverse the charge pending investigation, and permanently reverse it once they find out what happened. Just make sure you provide them with all the documents etc they ask for in the timeline they ask for them in.

Best,

Bob

alaibubu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
I did track back on all the transaction's emails and I think I've done everything they've asked for. Instead I found out that I couldn't find any "returned terms" stated on any of their webpage. I even tried purchasing (without confirming) another item and still couldn't see those terms stated in any of the purchasing pages.

I went to the bank that issued my credit card yesterday and I do not know why the first two of their people were reluctant to help. They said that the problem is not the bank's but it is between me and OWC. I've presented them all emails related to the transaction and demanded that they let me dispute the transaction. They did give me the "dispute form" in the end. I think I'll be annoying them until I get the refund.

I have also emailed OWC and asked why they're charging me for something I never received. I also pointed out that it was their responsibility to make sure that the item was mailed properly. Why should I pay for their mistake. I haven't received any response from them yet.

Just strings of bad luck I guess. I only bought from OWC because I thought they had a good reputation. Guess I was wrong. At least people who read this can learn from my experience.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
I did track back on all the transaction's emails and I think I've done everything they've asked for. Instead I found out that I couldn't find any "returned terms" stated on any of their webpage. I even tried purchasing (without confirming) another item and still couldn't see those terms stated in any of the purchasing pages.

I went to the bank that issued my credit card yesterday and I do not know why the first two of their people were reluctant to help. They said that the problem is not the bank's but it is between me and OWC. I've presented them all emails related to the transaction and demanded that they let me dispute the transaction. They did give me the "dispute form" in the end. I think I'll be annoying them until I get the refund.

I have also emailed OWC and asked why they're charging me for something I never received. I also pointed out that it was their responsibility to make sure that the item was mailed properly. Why should I pay for their mistake. I haven't received any response from them yet.

Just strings of bad luck I guess. I only bought from OWC because I thought they had a good reputation. Guess I was wrong. At least people who read this can learn from my experience.

These are the things that you should bring to their attention -- especially that bit about choosing them for their reputation and being disappointed! Keep telling them that they are acting badly and they should eventually realize that they can keep you as a customer if they shape up.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
I also had an experience with OWC that left a bad taste in my mouth. I bought an upgrade card on ebay that was defective (the original owner thought his computer had other issues causing the trouble and never suspected the upgrade card). I emailed OWC explaining the whole thing and including the original account number and information in the invoice concerning the original owner's warranty that was clearly stated in the invoice (but with no limitations as to transferability listed).

OWC's response was that only the original owner could enforce the warranty and that I was out of luck.

Therefore I asked the original owner to take the item back and cancel our sale and then maybe he could enforce the warranty and get his card replaced. He agreed to help me but had me ship it directly to OWC instead of to him first. He called and got them to agree to give him the return authorization. He got a replacement sent to me that was brand new and works perfect. All in all it worked out for me but OWC was not terribly customer-friendly in the tone of the two emails they sent me.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
... but OWC was not terribly customer-friendly in
the tone of the two emails they sent me.

OWC's emails aren't very customer friendly in my experience.

I ordered a Matias keyboard from OWC in Dec., primarily to see how they'd do with orders. I keep checking the tracking number which never showed as being received by the shipper. Called the shipper, they confirmed the package didn't exist in their system. Emailed OWC. They claimed it was shipped and they didn't much of an clue of what might have happened to the package, but they'd check into it. Heard nothing back from OWC over two days. I emailed again, saying just refund my money then... OWC said they were still checking... they'd let me know.

Meanwhile, I ordered the same type keyboard from NewEgg... had it in two days. Still, the OWC keyboard still was "lost." After one more rather demanding email, I got a curt reply back from OWC saying they'd found my keyboard, and it'd be shipped to another customer. No "we're sorry" or any form of apology for what was obviously OWC's mistake. Several days later, I finally received the keyboard. If I can get it anywhere else, I certainly won't be ordering anything from OWC in the future.

alaibubu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
After one more rather demanding email, I got a curt reply back from OWC saying they'd found my keyboard, and it'd be shipped to another customer. .... Several days later, I finally received the keyboard. If I can get it anywhere else, I certainly won't be ordering anything from OWC in the future.

It seems that they're not consistent with their own policy. At least you got your keyboard and not charged any extras. I got nothing and I had to pay for it.

OWC Larry

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2005
Woodstock, IL
Policy, etc.

I started this company in 1988 with a very pro-customer vantage point. Our policies are written to be fair and balanced offering exceptional flexibility with returns and exchanges of items. Our customer support team is further empowered to act beyond the written terms, in execution of my vision which is to see everyone a happy and life long OWC repeat customer. We are business today with years of consistent double-digit growth because of repeat and referral business. That is a fact and every customer is very important to me.

These are the terms of service which we provide for agreement when an order is placed with our company:
here:http://eshop.macsales.com/Service/index.cfm?page=tos.html

These terms are also found within the customer service section, accessible via the site wide 'Customer Service' menu tab, here:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Service/index.cfm

When an order is refused or 'returned to sender' back us, prior to anything else we do contact the customer to determine the reason this occurred. If nothing else and we don't receive a reply, it is our standard policy to process a refund on the order less 5% which covers the real cost of credit card charging/refunding and less the freight which also was a real cost to us in shipping the order as originally requested and agreed.

* All refused orders will be subject to a 5% restocking fee. Original shipping charges are not refundable. In addition, refused orders will be subject to additional shipping charges incurred in the return and retrieval of the shipment to Other World Computing. International orders that are refused will be subject to local taxes, import and export fees, as well as the 5% restocking fee and return shipping costs.
-------

The particular order in question here was requested to be shipped by US Postal Service. We specifically detail the limitations of tracking as terms that exist with such shipments. We ship all orders insured, but the US Postal Service does not provide tracking except for Express Air shipments and a trace can not be initiated until 30 days have passed from the ship date. Information concerning what is US Postal Service policy can be found on the US Postal site.

This is very different from the DHL, FedEx, and UPS international options we also make available which all provide live tracking status and far greater interaction should any delay occur while in transit. We offer US Postal because we have many customers who demand this service. Honestly, the US Postal Service is usually A-OK... it's only when a problem occurs that the difference in the US Postal service (which we do detail at the point a customer is comparing ship options to select) can become an issue. We can't make the US Postal service do the tracking and tracing that DHL, UPS, and FedEx do as standard to their respective services.

All of this saidn, I am happy to look more into this and see if we can come to a more positive conclusion. Feel free to e-mail me using owc@macsales.com as well. I really am here to help. :)

On the other post about a keyboard issue, that one doesn't sound right at all. OWC does not charge until we ship. On ANY order we ship, a shipment number is generated with the shipment label at the time of charging which is also when the actual invoice is generated. Automatically each evening, confirmation of the shipment with the tracking information is then sent by e-mail.

Again, by way of owc@macsales.com, I'd appreciate more information on the keyboard order - if only an order number, as it just doesn't jive or there's another piece to the story (was it a clearance item with first come first serve that got oversold, etc?).

Just give me the facts and I'll dive in. Always happy to do so.

Thank you

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
http://www.macsales.com

It seems that they're not consistent with their own policy. At least you got your keyboard and not charged any extras. I got nothing and I had to pay for it.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
Thanks Larry

Wonderfully written response and you have a more than satisfied customer here in Alaska (many purchases).

Thanks for allowing the USPS option, NO one else in the industry does, and its a real burden to purchase items with only 2nd day / over night air as an option.

Best regards.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
To the OP:
When you are dealing internationally, you as the customer have to accept responsibility for all shipping charges and return shipping charges. It is unavoidable. The alternative is for the seller never to offer international shipping.
Also, shipping by Post rather than by courier is less money, but often takes 30 days or more, as there are two differrent countries' postal systems involved. The sender cannot track or do anything about the shipment once it has entered your country.

It is very unclear to me why the shipment was returned; whether it was an error in addressing (and by who), or an error by your post office, or a failure to clear the package through your country's customs; whatever reason, the seller is left with the cost of both the shipping and the return shipping.

The refund you are entitled to is the refund that is payable under the terms and conditions you accepted when you made the purchase.

Do you realize that the seller doesn't have any way of knowing, in most cases, exactly why a package was refused or returned? Just that it has arrived back unannounced after 50 or 60 days.

What you should do is contact the seller with your concerns, not post here unless the seller is refusing to communicate.

Instead I found out that I couldn't find any "returned terms" stated on any of their webpage.

2 clicks from any page on the site: Customer Service: Terms of Service

I bought a [used] card on eBay...

Let me see: The warranty is effective for the original purchaser only, you bought it used, and you got a brand new replacement? I would say that's a pretty good result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.