Problem with Panther Mail

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ancdawf, Jan 30, 2004.

1. ancdawf macrumors newbie

My company just switched DNS servers, and I was having problems with my mail. The tech guys (all PC- they can't seem to understand that we are a Mac office and keep sending us PC instructions for everything, yet they tell us that most of their clients are Mac people) told me to delete my account and make a new account.

Well that did not work either, and it also erased thousands of messages in my inbox and sent items. 5 minutes later an employee of mine comes in and tells me that I never told her to do something that was very important, but I know I e-mailed her about it.

Question- is there anyway to retrieve this old account? I have not emptied my trash. I need that account back because I am lazy and do not move attachments off of e-mails.

2. Calliander macrumors member

Re: Problem with Panther Mail

It doesn't look like you'll be able to retrieve this stuff easily. We can check your mail folder, but I doubt anything will be there. I just tested it out with my program and it looks like Mail simply erases that stuff without archiving it or moving it anywhere.

~/Library/Mail/ (the tilde being your home folder)

If your mail account is "joe@home.net", and you check it through POP, there should be a folder called "POP - joe@home.net". There are MBOX files in there which correspond with whatever folders you have in the Mail program. However, if they are all small in size, then your stuff's gone.

The only thing you could try is seeing if the Apple Store or a reseller could help recover the data for you. I'm not sure how well Mail erases the data, but I doubt it eliminates it with zeroes.

Hope that helps. :\