Problem with Phantom Folder & Desktop Files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Brize, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

I've been having a strange problem with desktop files and folders, and wondered whether any of you guys could offer advice.

I synced my iPod a few days back, and a message flashed up in iTunes to say that a particular song couldn't be found, and therefore couldn't be transferred. I had a quick look in iTunes, and found a whole album with exclamation marks beside the tracks. As expected, the folder containing the m4a files was missing from the underlying file structure. In an attempt to solve the problem, I copied the album folder back into the iTunes folder from my external hard-drive, which contains a back-up of my music library.

Now, every time I save an unrelated file, that same album folder replicates itself on my desktop. If I try to move it back to the iTunes folder, I end up with two identical folders for that album, but if I trash one, they both disappear. Further, if I drag a file to my desktop, it doesn't appear on either the desktop or in the Finder. In order to view and open the file, I have to search for it within the Finder. When I click on the file from within the results pane, it reappears on the desktop.

I'm running 10.3.5 on a Dual 2.0 G5 with 1GB of stock RAM, and I've already repaired permissions.

Any ideas?

2. scan300 macrumors 6502

It looks like your filesystem is a little corrupted. Either do a safe boot (Hold down <shift> when you restart) which will run the diskutility program, or boot off your installer CD and run 'Disk first aid -- repair disk' from disk utility.

Note: hold down the shift key for a while when trying safe boot. You will eventually get a welcome screen with the words 'safe boot' after it has run the disk utility program. I suggest restarting again in normal mode, as safe boot will temporarily disable some features.

3. Brize thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brize

Thanks for the reply – very much appreciated.

Fortunately, the problem seems to have finally disappeared of its own accord, but I'll try your suggestion if it re-occurs.