Problem with Quicktime Player

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rorymilli, Dec 19, 2006.

1. rorymilli macrumors member

Hello There, I am running OS 10.3.9 and have I have Quicktime 7.1.3 . The other day someone sent me a very funny video clip as a wmv. file. It opened and played in Quicktime but now Quicktime tells me it can't open the file. I thought maybe I had altered the video file in some way so I got my friend to resend it but alas I can't open it. Any ideas?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

for quicktime to play a wmv file you must have flip4mac installed. Maybe something happened with flip4mac and hence the reason for not working now. Try reinstalling flip4mac.

3. rorymilli thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick response. I have downloaded Flip4Mac again and reinstalled but I still have the same problem. Do you think I should download Quicktime again and start from scratch?

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

If you can open the same file with VLN, you can check the file info to see if it's mp4 or avc1. There have been some issues with the 7.1.3 QT Update breaking some codec, including Flip4Mac. I'm even thinking of going back to 7.1.2 since I don't run iTunes 7, until another QT Update release.

One more thing I forgot to mention in case you don't have Flash enabled in your QT Preferences>Advanced. You might check that.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Did you have to reinstall 7.0.4 first before you went to 7.1.2?

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yup. It's a bit of a tedious process, involving quite a few manual deletions. There are instructions for it around somewhere, like MacFixit or VT.

8. rorymilli thread starter macrumors member

Hello Everybody, The problem went away when I upgraded to Tiger!

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

glad you got it fixed, (bit of a drastic measure though)