Problem with RAM in MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brandon6684, Jun 24, 2006.

1. brandon6684 Guest

I just upgraded the RAM in my iMac, so I decided to take the two 512MB sticks out of it and replace the RAM in my MacBook(currently 2 256MB sticks). The RAM worked great in my iMac, but for some reason, the MacBook can't see one of the sticks at all, no matter what slot it's in. Is there any reason it wouldn't work in the MacBook, but would in the iMac, and is there any way to fix it?

2. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

The RAM slots in the MacBooks are VERY stiff. Double check to make sure it's inserted properly. I find the last few millimeters very difficult, and it hurts my fingers to push it in fully.

Just a thought.

3. brandon6684 thread starter Guest

I thought I pushed it in pretty good, but I'll try again.

4. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I found installing the stick closest to the HDD the hardest. I really had to use as much force as possible, I thought I was going to break it. My fingers hurt for a week.

Yet another anomoly with the MacBook :(

5. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Its not really an "anomoly", persay. Its simply a matter of space and making sure the RAM is stuck in there good. You'd feel a lot worse if your ram came loose while working on a project of some sort. ;)

6. brandon6684 thread starter Guest

Actually, for mine it looks like it's one stick in particular, no particular slot.

7. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I'm sure the intention was not to design it so that you virtually need a sledge hammer to get the ram into the slot? :D

8. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

You'd be surprised....lol

Back when I had an HP pavillion, the suggestion from customer service was to do just that. Use a hammer to "lightly tap the memory into its slot, as to ensure a secure fit".

9. Zulu macrumors newbie

Just a thought, but the defective unit, does it still work in the original machine?

I am just wondering if you damaged it in some way while removing and refitting it.