problem with sending out e-mails

Discussion in 'macOS' started by YS2003, Oct 4, 2005.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Somehow Mail/Entourage is not sending out e-mail even though I can receive e-mail. For sending out, I entered smtp.mac.com as instructed by Apple. I have valid name/password in place. Do I need to adjust Mac OS's firewall or some other settings?

2. sreedy macrumors 6502a

You seeing an error or is it just sat in the outbox?

3. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

It just sits in the out box. Then, a pop up window comes up and asks me to "edit" "send later" and one other option (I forgot what that was). Mail has offered me an option to use other server for sending out (as I have a Optimum Online, which uses mail.optonline.net). But, both do not work as far as sending out. As far as I can tell, the settings are identical with my Windows box (HP) as I can send and receive from my HP (for my Optimum Online account).

I have Belking wireless router with WPA setting. But, I don't think this is anything to do with my home network as I can receive e-mail.

4. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I had a very similar problem with Mail, including being able to get mail but not send it and getting the error, before. It turned out that it was to do with my email provider and I had to set up a VPN to get the sending of mail to work. Applications > Internet Connect > VPN > fill in the info and mark the show VPN status. Then when I connected to the VPN had no problems sending mail. A bit of a pain, but that's life. Hope this helps

5. sreedy macrumors 6502a

When you get this pop up it usually gives you the actual reason in the text above..... like "Response from server: <Relaying not allowed>" in the the test I just tried. Maybe that error will help you.

I have the problem where my mail provide won't let me send the email if I am connected to the net on an ip range that isn't theirs....I get the reply message. Some isp's allow this with some form of authentication; but if you can do it from your HP then I don't see why you'd be having the issue with OS X.

The error would help.

6. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

The message in the pop up is "Cannot send mail using server smtp.mac.com" or "Cannot send mail using server mail.optonline.net." "Use the pop-up menu below to try a different outgoing mail server. All messages will use this server until you quit Mail or change your network settings."

So, it is not an error message per se. I know the server address is correct and I am using the valid account name/password (otherwise I won't be getting an e-mail).

7. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Even though the outgoing server may be correct, settings regarding it may not be. Check Apple's setup instructions for OS X Mail. Here's an excerpt I found:

8. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

it's weird. Now it is working....

I am getting baffuled as Mail is now sending out the messages. This is very strange. But, I am using my Mac from a hotel room (as I am on business trip) with the hotel's high-speed network via Apple Airport Express Base Station. This hotel does not have the password for connecting to this wired network (even though my Airprot Express Base Station is set up with WPA encryption).

Maybe since I have not been actively using Mail for a whilte (I have only been using hotmail account), Apple server might have put my account to sleep until I started poking at their smtp server since several days ago.

I will try sending out messages once I am back at home.

9. juicedus macrumors member

I've got a similar problem. I get a timeout when trying to send out on one of my e-mail servers. Is there any way to change the timeout duration?

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Is it possible the ISP has blocked outgoing servers other than its server for mail (spam prevention)?

11. Clifw1f macrumors newbie

SBC Blocks Port 25

I had a similar problem. I found out that my hope ISP (SBC) blocks port 25. This means that they won't accept outgoing mail from my other accounts (.mac or one of the e-mail accounts attached to one of my websites).

They do this to try and prevent spammers from using their servers to push spam.

Check your account with the ISP (I did this on the web) and see if they block outgoing mail from a different smtp server.

SBC will let you request an opt out of port 25 blocking. Just fill out the form and in a day or so your e-mail should go.