Problem with sharing itunes between PC and Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mike dunx, Feb 18, 2007.

1. mike dunx macrumors regular

I have my whole library on my iBook, and I'd like to listen to it over the network when I'm on the PC. I've turned on iTunes sharing and enabled it on the firewall section of the security on the iBook, and i've enabled looking for shared libraries on the PC, but there's still nothing showing up in the left panel of iTunes. Am I doing anything wrong?

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Both computers are on the same network, right? What are their IP addresses?

(OS X: System Preferences->Network->Ethernet or Airport->TCP/IP)
    (PC: Start->Run->type "cmd", press return->type "ipconfig"->lookit the "IP address bit)

3. mike dunx thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, same network. PC is wired to the wireless router.

PC 192.168.1.100
    mac 192.168.1.102

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Can you ping from one computer to the other?

Open Terminal on the Mac (in the Utilities folder), and type "ping 192.168.1.100" (without quotes)

Press command+. after you see a few come back. They should come back in a few milliseconds.

On the PC, open up the command prompt again but instead of typing ipconfig type "ping 192.168.1.102" (again without quotes). This will finish in 4 pings.

Do the pings get through?

5. mike dunx thread starter macrumors regular

when i pinged from the mac to the pc, it worked. but when i pinged from the pc to the mac, it said network timed out

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Try turning off your Mac Firewall and try pinging again.

If it still doesn't work that's weird, then there is a problem with your network, try checking the Console on your iBook, (/Applications/Utilities) to see if anything network related is amiss.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

What is at the IP address 192.168.1.101? Is that the router or another computer? (Windows calls the router a 'gateway', stupid name because it doesn't have to be a gateway to the internet...)

Just wondering if your router might be having issues crossing the boundary between below and above, although it shouldn't.

8. mike dunx thread starter macrumors regular

i think it might be assigned to my brothers xbox

9. mike dunx thread starter macrumors regular

could there be a simple explination? our network isn't very complex, and i think there could be a number of things i'm doing wrong that one might assume i would have already done