problem with startup time in os 10.3.7 on a pbg4 1.5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superkatalog, Feb 4, 2005.

1. superkatalog macrumors regular

hello.

i've got a problem with an ultra long startup time on my powerbook. it takes several minutes (!) from the log-in window to the finder startup. anyone had the same problem? or an idea?

thanks in advance

greetings from switzerland.
    adrian.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

How long is ultra-long?
    How long does it take?

Lee Tom

3. superkatalog thread starter macrumors regular

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yikes. That does seem ultra-long. When did the problem start? After installing anything in particular?

What is loading at start-up? Try turning some of those off - and then see if it speeds up a little.

If not, then create a new test account (with full access) and see whether or not the problem happens with that account.

5. superkatalog thread starter macrumors regular

i've created a new account and the problem was exactly the same. hmpf.

that means i have to dig deeper than on account-level.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not sure if this helps but when I had a recent software problem (iSight making Finder crash) across any user, the Apple Store Genius suggested that the best thing to do (rather than waste any more time deleting individual preference files etc) was just to do an Archive and Restore of the system.
    It took about 90 minutes plus another 30 minutes or so re-applying updates but it now all works perfectly again.

Wait and see if anyone else comes up with possible solutions - our US friends are still pretty much asleep. But it might work as a last resort.

7. superkatalog thread starter macrumors regular

thank you.! yes that would be a solution. i hope it will be last resort :)
    the other option is to simply never shut down the machine :)

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Hey Super,
    Hard to troubleshoot the problem without more information. But, it could be your internet set up/configuration. Check this link.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106796

Also, you might try: Repair Permissions, and if you have Disk Warrior, run that to rebuild your directory. An Archive/Install might be your last resort, but still a good option. Good luck.
    X

9. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

Do you have many fonts installed?

I had a similer problem with long startup time after installing 10.3.7 (not ultra long, just long . . .). It turned out to be font related. Now I just have the fonts that I must have in my fonts folder, and than I use Font Agent to manage the rest.

10. superkatalog thread starter macrumors regular

yeah.! problem solved.! and i think it started after installing 10.3.7.

thank you and all the others for the great help.!

adrian.

11. gernb macrumors regular

This is a pretty well documented problem with 10.3.7 on Apple's support forums. Lots of users are having this issue.

I have the same problem on my 12" 1.33 powerbook.

Doesn't seem clear what the fix is other than going back to 10.3.6 but some people have suggested that it has to do with the computer searching to make a network connection that gets hung up during log in.

Not much help, I know. But at least you'll know you're not alone with this one.