Problem with Terminal/router/hostname

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nitz, Jan 14, 2004.

1. nitz macrumors member

nitz

Ever since I networked my apartment with a vigor router, whenever I am in Terminal the local hostname is shown as Vigor11. I have a PowerMac G4 and an iBook and it occurs on both computers.

At work on our eMac that we use as an email-server, this does not happen. However, when I bring my laptop to work and plug it in the network and open a terminal window the local hostname displayed is "Vigor11". When I take out the network cable and open a new Terminal window the host name is what it is supposed to be, "meike". As soon as I plug in the net cable and execute a command in the terminal it switches back to Vigor11. Does this have something to do with the fact that the eMac has a static IP address and the iMac dynamic?

How can I avoid this? This may be causing problems when I try to set up MySQL on the machines when it tries to find the local hostname but doesn't match.

Thank you!

Nate

2. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Are you using a NAT setup on ur router, and DNS relay? I noticed that instead of using the assigned hostnames it does a RDNS lookup on your ip, if its in the 192/10/172 ranges ur router may return its name instead of a valid hostname.

Dunno never had much experiance with vigors.

3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

DHCP servers, systems that assign network configurations to clients, can also assign hostnames as well. They can even assign items such as browser home pages, domain names, and NetBIOS settings.

I don't know where it can be changed on the Mac, but disable any sort of hostname changing via DHCP. Linux (SuSE 8 and 9) have this capability and it appears MacOS does too. The other option is to change the router at home so it doesn't pass out hostnames.