Problem with Terminal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spencecb, Apr 3, 2006.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Hey everyone. I am having issues with the Terminal application. I do Folding on both of my Macs (in signature). But for some reason, Terminal does not act normally any more when I try and launch it, at least not on the MBP.

On the MBP, I downloaded the script found here:

http://calnet.sdsu.edu/mc68k/

Whenever I launch the application (terminal) this is what appears in the Terminal window:

Last login: (then whatever my last login was)
    /Volumes/RC5-72/dnetc/dnetc; exit
    Welcoime to Darwin!
    You have new mail.
    (name of my computer inserted here):~ (my username) /Volume/RC5-72/dnetc/dnetc; exit
    -bash: /Volume/RC5-72/dnetc/denetc: No such file or directory
    logout
    [Process completed]

Creating new shells return the same text as above, and I can only run commands by selecting "Run command" from the File Menu, and then it usually completes the command, then logsout and completes the process, not letting me run any more commands in the window.

When I launch Terminal on my iMac, I get the normal operation of the Terminal.

Anyone know what the crap is going on with this?

I posted this as a thread in the Applications forum as well, wasn't sure where it was best suited. Mods can move/delete one or the other.

2. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

I run into a similar problem quite frequently, though I'll be honest I don't know the cause(and sadly noone has ever responded to my posts about it). Somehow one of my ssh scripts adds an ExecutionString to your com.apple.terminal.plist file which executes when you open a new terminal window, making it impossible to run commands just like you experienced.

Now if you are experiencing the same problem as me, I did find the temporary fix (until it unexpectedly happens again in which case you just do this again) by either opening up your terminal.plist file with Property List Editor (You need Developer Tools installed for this) and checking to see if those lines you encountered (i.e.. /Volumes/RC5-72/dnetc/dnetc) are in an ExecutionString property string. If it is delete the string.

Alternatively if you don't want to go through that you could just delete your terminal.plist file, and a new fresh one will be generated next time you start terminal.

Now a less likely scenario would be a script that attached itself to your profile or worse the system wide profile (less likely as if it was a script it probably wouldn't exit like that). If thats the case you'll have to use a work around to get access to the command prompt(most likely through the use of X11's xterm assuming you didn't change xterm to act as a login shell).

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Also when in terminal go into the prefs and check to make sure its not opening a .term file. You could also change it to execute this command /bin/bash That is with 10.3 so it should work.

5. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

I haven't used iTerm in a while so I just started it up real quick, but that also executes your profile (via login -fp) so you'd esentially be stuck with the same problem (if it is the profile causing the problem) would you not?

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I guess you might...depending on default shell.

Last resort, boot up in single user mode and scrub those babies...