Problem with textwrangler

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MacDonaldsd, Oct 31, 2006.

  1. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

    MacDonaldsd

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2005
    Location:
    London , UK
    #1
    ive been using textwrangler to create a HTML site.

    Only problem when I move it to a windows xp machine, load the page then view the source its all in on one line.

    How can I fix this ?
     
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2001
    Location:
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    #2
    Assuming you have the buttons at the top of the window on, you'll notice that one of them looks like a page of text. Under that window there is a sub-menu to select the text encoding, as well as the option to choose what kind of line breaks your document will use.

    You probably have Macintosh line breaks selected, which don't show up as linebreaks in some Windows text editors. Select "Windows", and you might have the same problem in reverse, but it'll guaranteed look fine on Windows.

    I always use Unix, personally, but from a "page looking right" standpoint it doesn't matter which of the three (or four, if you count unicode) you use, since web browsers read them all as whitespace and therefore render the pages correctly.

    Incidentally, you can set the default in the "Text Files: Saving" preference.
     
  3. MacDonaldsd thread starter macrumors 65816

    MacDonaldsd

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2005
    Location:
    London , UK
    #3
    Thanks :)
    I saw it in the preferences section but that didn't work, so was getting a bit annoyed, but doing it from the top of each documents works fine.
     

Share This Page