Problem with transferring videos to ipod 5g (handbrake)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by superbloom, Nov 16, 2005.

1. superbloom macrumors newbie

in anticipation of recieving my new ipod in the mail, i ripped many movies and tv shows from my dvd collection using handbrake. i made sure that all movies were mpeg 4 /aac, but the ipod wont accept the files.

Help please.

2. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Just follow these instructions and you should be good to go...

http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/

3. superbloom thread starter macrumors newbie

those are the EXACT steps i took and i followed them. its strange. do i have to activate anything? all the movies play fine in itunes

4. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Hmm, well, I don't know then to be honest. The videos play just fine on my 5G iPod when I follow those instructions. Can you get any videos to play? i.e. Video Podcasts, etc?

5. superbloom thread starter macrumors newbie

no, for some reason, i cant even BUY a music video. this is frustrating

6. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

You have to download the latest build of Handbrake, that allows baseline encoding. You MUST check that option if you're using H.264, otherwise the file won't play on the iPod.

7. superbloom thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i didnt use h.264, but does this mean i have to rip all my movies all over again?

i dont think its a handbrake problem, the movies play fine on itunes, plus, when i try to buy a music video an error pops up. i thank you guys for your help so far.

8. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

That is true, but you can also play mp4 (mpeg-4) videos that are not H.264 encoded as well (as per those instructions linked to above). It sounds like you might need to check with Apple if you can't download or transfer any videos to your iPod at all, because something else is obviously going wrong.

My only other question is, you did resize them to 320x240 in Handbrake before ripping them right?

9. superbloom thread starter macrumors newbie

there ya go, that seems to be my problem. i guess i have to delete all my files now. thanks for the help

10. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Yeah, that is the final step (Figure 11 on that instruction webpage) that you must do before hitting the rip button because the iPod won't play anything that is higher resolution. Glad we figured it out.

11. superbloom thread starter macrumors newbie

is there a way to change the resolution without redoing everything?

12. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Do you have QuickTime 7 Pro? If so, you could open the video files in QT player (not iTunes) and then choose Export from the menu, and pick "Movie to iPod" and it would be faster than re-ripping all of them again. The quality might not be as good though, but it's worth trying if you don't want to re-rip everything all over again.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/creatingvideo.html

13. superbloom thread starter macrumors newbie

no, im not gonna do that.

i appreciate the help though

14. robbo007 macrumors newbie

robbo007

I have the exact same problem and I have followed that exact same guide even figure 11 resizing video format before rip, but itunes will no accept my video file?

I have to export the handbrake file using QT and the export to Ipod feature in order for itunes and my ipod to accept it?

Has Apple changed anything recently to stop this?

Thanks,

Rob

15. rubberlips5725 macrumors newbie

i have a question

i converted my movies in to mp-4 format and then when i go to itunes and click add file some of them will go and copy onto itunes ans some will not? does anybody know why this is happening!!!!!!???

16. robbo007 macrumors newbie

robbo007

I found that if you use the option "Baseline" then it works. If you don't use it then iTtunes does not like the format.

Also I noticed that sometimes I had to close and reopen Handbrake in order for the option "Baseline" to be accessable.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rob