problem with user accounts

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by abhishekit, Nov 11, 2003.

1. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

hi fellas
    i got my first mac today. i m havin some problems with user accoounts.
    i log in as administrator with some name which is differnt from the name i used when setting up.
    but still when i check at the command line it showz my dirctory as users/<name i used in set up>
    then i renamed that folder in the users as the name of the administrator, but still when i logge on it automatically made a new floder with the setup name and that was my working directory..???
    anyone knowz whats goin on???

cheers

abhi

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

You have to log in as Administrator to get the Administrator "Home" folder. I'm actually surprised that it let you rename to that unless your logged in as "root". I would log in as Administrator and if you feel comfortable using your "New" Mac as administrator then just use that account, I do with no problems. Mac OS X is great like that because it usually won't let you screw up OS files unless your logged in as "root".

If your not comfortable then make yourself an account with only specific privileges. Mac OS X is really good at that. You can also do this for other users of your machine if you have other users.

If you can't remember your password for that account...just boot from your OS CD (hold C key after chime) and reset the password. The option to reset the password is in the Installer menu after it boots up from the CD.

Congratulations on your new Mac!!! I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

3. abhishekit thread starter macrumors 65816

abhishekit

now i have 1 account which has admin priveleges. but when i am trying su , it says sorry...i have one master password for firevault although i havent activated firevault, and i have one password for my account.
    so how do i log in as "administrator"??do i have to create a new account called administrator??
    and also how do i log in as root??

4. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

It sounds like the last thing you want to do is log in as the root user. You've already tried to change the name of the user folder manual, I can only imagine what type of damage might happen by logging in as the root.

Go into the system preferences. Click on accounts. If there's only one account there, and it's yours, then you are already set up as the administrator. When it asks for an administrators password, that's you. Type in your login name and password. Sometimes they'll use what's called a short name. This is just to make things easier, but ignore it if it's a hassle. For example, if my login name was Lime Lite, my short name could be lime.

5. notkevin macrumors member

If it is a brand spanking new system you are probably better of reinstalling Mac OS and starting again.