Problem Writing Cookies in Safari

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development (archive)' started by crees!, Mar 3, 2004.

1. macrumors 68000

crees!

So I'm having this is problem where Safari will only write cookies that I make if they just have a name and value. If I set the expiration or path it will not write the cookie. I know my code is correct because I'm taking it straight from a web book. Plus I checked Safari's Developer FAQ's and they had the same example. So I don't know what gives.

This works:

var cartName = "AppleCart";

var expiration = new Date();
    expiration.setMinutes(expiration.getMinutes() + 120);

function writeCookie(value)
    {
    document.cookie = cartName + "=" + escape(value);

if (document.cookie != "")
    alert("Cookie has been written");
    else
    alert("Cookie has not been saved");
    }

This does not work:

function writeCookie(value)
    {
    document.cookie = cartName + "=" + escape(value) + "; expires=" + expiration.toGMTString();

if (document.cookie != "")
    alert("Cookie has been written");
    else
    alert("Cookie has not been saved");
    }

2. thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

Well I realized Safari doesn't like using setMinutes(), but instead setDate() but correctly write the cookie. Still, this is interesting. But then maybe I'm just a nub. ;)

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

And now finally reading up further I see that Minutes are from 0-59.. so setting it + 120 sort of breaks that doesn't it...

4. macrumors 601

Westside guy

I've ran into that before - Safari's date and time handling seem to be a lot pickier than with Mozilla or IE. I was passing the date to my cookie routines and then using a Date() object to convert it; other than with Safari I didn't have to be too careful about the format of my input string.