Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kongaj, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Kongaj macrumors newbie

Hello, long time reader, first time poster

I bought my Macbook in August and recently ran into my first problem.
    Starting yesterday my Macbook has been acting, for lack of a better word, erraticly.
    There is a constant, reapeating alert sound whenever I go to enter text. Its almost as if someone is holding down a button (which no one is doing). Also when I enter pull down menus the highlight goes up and down and wont go down to the one I want. It always wants to highlight the bottom one.
    Also when I open Firefox it opens a propmt to askin if I want to turn on "Caret Browsing"... and wont allow me to close it. And Microsoft word is unusable due to it wanting to open spell check and not want to close it. Major piss off and annoying problem.

I have tried everything I can think of. Virus scan, onyx, restarting, shutting down, and last night I even did a full delete of the os. Worked for a little bit then returned. I even tried calling Apple, but unfortunatly they wont help me. My 90 day phone support is over... but im still under warrenty. A little ridiculous.

Please help. I cannot use my computer properly. I need to right my term papers and am unable to do so.
    Thank you for any support at all.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like you have a stuck key. Try pressing keys on your keyboard. Does one of them seem hard to push? If so, you've found a problematic key. Try cleaning your keyboard with compressed air.

I suspect that a stuck key is the cause of all these issues you're having.

3. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

If it is indeed a stuck key, It's likely not to be one of the letter keys, probably a command based key. I *think* there is a keyboard format thing somewhere... that tells what keys you are pressing. (please note I said think, I'm not sure, but I thought I had seen it before).

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I think that existed only on OS 9...

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It does exist on Mac OS X - Apple just hid it. To bring it up, open System Preferences, then International. Go to the rightmost tab (the one with the huge list of languages), and check the box that shows an input menu in the menu bar. Also, make sure the character picker thingy (don't remember what it's called) is selected in the language list. Once that's done, bring up the flag menu that should have appeared. In there will be an option for the "keyboard simulator" (as I like to call it). Bring that up, and a little window will appear. It functions just like Key Caps under Mac OS 9 did - press a key, and it'll be highlighted in the little window.