Problematic OS X install on G4

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ZacharyTMorris, Jan 29, 2004.

1. ZacharyTMorris macrumors newbie

So, i'm trying to install OS X on this old G4 350Mhz (probably the earliest G4 Tower released on the market) which has always been used with os 8 or 9 before it was passed off to me. I go through the normal routine of simply restarting with a System disk: a good original cold version of OS X Jaguar (10.2)

It finds the disk fine and proceeds to the startup screen with that spinning wheel and large apple logo. This is all it does... It never gets past this inital startup screen. The wheel will eventualy stop it's spinning and nothing else occurs.

I take it the computer is locked up as it just sits there not computing as it should. (i don't think i'm being impatient... i give it a while)

I've tried multiple diffrent OS X disks (others that come bundled with g4 powerbook, or emacs) but every disk has the same story. Wheel stops rotating and nothing else.

I've even tried downloading a installed OS X system through a ethernet connection from one computer to another (selecting the system directories and files) This seemed to change the outcome a little: Instead of a wheel that eventually locks up and stops spinnning the wheel never stops turning ever... However the inital startup screen is still the end result.

I've checked apple's support site and it says OS X works with all G4 computers. So i can't believe it's a incompatiblity.

I need some help.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Hmmmm.

Well, ask who ever past this off to you, if they had installed any third party RAM in it. If they are not near by just take all the RAM out but the stick in slot one if it meets the bare minimum for booting. OS X needs 128MB of RAM, its also a possiblilty you don't even have the bare minimum, the G4 you are talking about came with just 64MB of RAM as default.

That should be a good starting point.

Check RAM, then try the install again if you meet bear minimum. Let us know if that helped.

3. ZacharyTMorris thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow... you were right! There was a 3rd party RAM chip installed manufatured by infineon. It was a 128MB SDR DIMM. For some reason the computer wouldn't even start with such circutry plugged in. I tried unplugging the original chip first and then OS 9 wouldn't even boot! So i decided it must of been because of the other chip. And sure enough... Thanks a bunch man!

cheers! =)

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Welcome

Yeah, you can try and put it back in once OS X is on, sometimes its just the installer that doesn't like 3rd party RAM, but sometimes X doesn't like it either. Glad to be of help.

5. Calliander macrumors member

Ahh, Yikes! and OS X... a match made in heaven. ;)

It seems your problem has been resolved. Always make sure that you use the Apple OEM RAM when you can. It will help facilitate ease of OS X install and use.