Problems Accessing Samba Shares

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ee99ee, Aug 4, 2006.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

I have a samba share on a (FreeBSD) server here that I have always used, had no problems with at all. I moved this weekend into a new house, and since them I can't access it from my mac. Well, actually, I can access it. I can mount it, but the problem is when I try to do a file transfer (either from command line, or finder) it just sits there and does nothing. Also, reading directory listings take upwards of 60 seconds, even for small directories. All of my iTunes music is on this server, and I'm not able to play anything in iTunes (actually, I can, if I wait 60-90 seconds for each song to load, and put up with the skips that happen during the song).

What's going on?

At first, I assumed the worse: loosing/lost a drive. However, I can login to the server and view all of my data just fine, even move it to another hard drive in the system just fine. Also, I can access the share from my Windows PC with no problem. I can do file transfers and directory listings very fast, just like always. Nothing has changed. I've tried new cables both between my (one and only) switch and my Mac, as well as between the switch and my server. I also tried another switch, still have the same problems. I have restarted smbd and nmdb on the server, restarted the server, and restarted my mac. What the heck is going on?

Oh, it's worth noting: I can access other samba shares just fine that I have mounted over a VPN connection. They're slow, but they're going across the Internet. Even then, though, they're faster than the transfer I get between the server here and it's connected 100Mbps.

Very weird.

I have tried "connecting" to the share from Finder, as well as mounting it as follows:

Code:
    sudo mount_smbfs -U cmiller //stewie/Files /Volumes/stewie
    I have a static entry in my hosts file to resolve "stewie" to 10.1.0.2, which is it's staic IP address. Both the server, my desktop (and everything else, really) are all using Comcast my ISP for DNS, if that matters. I have also tried mounting as //10.1.0.2 instead of //stewie. Both ways mount, and all ways have the same problem.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss...

-Chris

2. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

Now the issue has gone away... no idea why.... it just came an awful thunderstorm and knocked the power off, so everything had to reboot... I'm sure that has something to do with it, but it was definitly something on my mac. So weird...

-Chris