Problems after reinstalling Mac OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ptasker, Sep 12, 2006.

1. ptasker macrumors newbie

I recently decided to clear up everything on my iMac and after backing up all the data went for a system installation using the disks which came with it.

All went fine as I just followed the on screen instructions and ended up with a good as new experience ! I was able to connect up to the internet and was already to start again ie loading on pics and music.

Then my probs started...

After a few days I started up and just got a small folder icon flashing with a question mark on a grey screen. I tried various things but nothing seemed to change it.

I tried to put the Install Disk 1 in again and restarted. This gave me the option of reinstalling the OS - which whilst I didnt really want to do this I followed it through. The only problem is when the installer asks for a destination drive there is nothing there.

That's it really, I thought I had done all right and am now stuck in this cant start up scenario. I cant even seem to eject the disk.

I am a fairly new (humble) mac user and would really appreciate some advice (even if my prob seems simple!!!)

Thanks in eager anticipation

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I would put your installer disk back in and when the installation screen comes up go to the the Utilities menu and find Disk Utility (I can't remember the exact name of the menu). And run a Disk scan. There is a chance there is an issue there, but Disk Utility is usually able to fix any problems.
    Overall you might have to reinstall again :( , but you do have everything backed up still right?

3. ptasker thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes the data is backed up so is all safe.
    I will give the util a try and maybe a reinstall if it wil give me a destination drive.
    Thanks for your quick reply !

4. ptasker thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, have been into the Installer and found the Disk Utility. It asks you to "repair a disk or volume, select it's icon in the list on the left"

This is the problem.. The list on the left only contacts the 5.7GB MatshidaDVD with the Mac OS X Install Disc 1.

Does this mean I cant see the HD to scan it or repair it ?

I seem to be stuck in a circle here ... any more ideas please :confused:

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Please don't do that again. Reinstallation is intended only for serious problems with your machine. It is not a strategy for routine maintenance.

6. ptasker thread starter macrumors newbie

The tidy up I was doing was not for routine maintenance. I did have some serious problems in that the machine kept hanging when an account was selected. I was told by the chap in the Apple store to try the reinstallation.

I should have explained that better, but also should add that after installation all worked fine and I was able to set up new accounts, connect to net etc.

Still stuck now though !

7. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

If it was just 1 user account hanging then I would of tried just deleting that account, create a new one, then copy the files over again. Reinstalling for me has been a last resort. Actually I've only reinstalled when major OS upgrades have been released (10.2, 10.3, 10.4). When that happens I make sure to zero-out my hard drive when it erases it, then perform an install.

EDIT: Also do a complete erase and install.. don't do archive or upgrade since you backed everything up already.

8. ptasker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your message. I had previously set up new accounts and copied data accross. The problem just kept ocurring. It was a complete erase and install that I did.

Any suggestions as to how I can sort out where I am at now ?