Problems Backing up DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lexie4686, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Lexie4686 macrumors newbie

Jan 26, 2006
    Ok ok, so I know the laws, and I can backup my DVD collection. However, how in the world do I get past CSS encoding, "Bad Sectors", and ISO files not matching up with the VOB files?! Here is what I do: (p.s. I am backing up DVDs becuase I want a copy of my DVDs for at school)

Rip to Harddrive using MacTheRipper. Lately, after sending my powerbook into apple for a new optical drive, my MacTheRipper is taking forever to rip! And, after about 2 hrs when its finished, there is a warning that the rip has "bad sectors" and may not play back.

So..when I try to compress these files, using Toast, it refuses to do so - stating that my ISO files don't match my VOB files. Now in PCs this could be easily fixed by using something like FixVTS, but I have yet to find a program like this for macs.

I tried to use some other programs to rip. Toast doesn't copy because there is CSS encodings, Forty-Two doesn't copy because I don't have something called a "BSD Subsystem" (even after I re-installed OS X - which is what Apple said would put it on my computer, and it didn't work). And
    DVDBackup isn't working, saying that there is a file systems error in processing a VOB file, with the options of continueing or stopping. Thus - the backup doesn't work.

Mind you I NEVER had these problems before sending my powerbook into Apple to get a new optical drive. WHY NOW? I have yet to burn a sucessful DVD since I've gotten it back.

I'm so frustrated, someone PLEASE help me!!!
  2. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    dunno the answer to the rest, but for the first one, it's a setting in MTR.

You might wanna get that checked out by Apple.
  3. Lexie4686 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 26, 2006
    Thanks for replying. Do you know the proper settings for MTR?