Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikegs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Hi guys

Just installed Windows 7 ultimate on my 11.6 MBA (following the CNET guide using rEFIt for USB boot)

I have 3 questions/problems

1. After updating through windows update I get a "Blue screen of death" when trying to boot into Windows. Is there something about a certain MS upgrade, that should be avoided?

2. When booting, prior to the actual loading of windows but after selecting windows in the boot menu, the screen is black with a cursor blinking in the top left corner.... For at least 30 seconds....??

3. Is it possible to autoboot into windows (not osX) after a restart/shutdown (Right now it waits 15 seconds, then boot into OSX, if i don't manually choose windows)

Thanks so much for any advice on these matters!!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Can't help with 1 or 2, but on 3, while in OSX, open up Sytem Preferences (or whatever it is called), select BootCamp, select Windows as your startup disk. After that, it'll autoboot into Windows until you elect to boot back into OSX from the Windows side.

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
I encounterd this problem yesterday after a fairly lengthy Windows 7 update. I eneded up rolling my system back to the previous day and everything is fine again. I don't know which update caused the conflict but, for now, I'm just staying put as everthing is working.

elwood58

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
California
A security update that ends in "1957" for the KB number is the issue. Good news is that there is a fix for this problem.

1. Connect a mouse to your system
2. Go into Device Manager and disable Apple Multitouch, and Apple Multitouch Mouse in the HUman Interface Devices section.
3. Perform all Windows Updates, you will not get BSOD
4. Re-enable previously disabled multitouch items.

You are now good to go. Have a great day!

PS - In troubleshooting other issues, I made another driver disk using Bootcamp Utility yesterday. That driver disk would also cause me to Blue Screen Dump.

Last edited:

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
2. Use a real copy of windows 7, not a cracked downloaded copy (I know because I used both). Cracked copy results in 30-40 seconds at the blinking screen, real copy does not.

I don't know why the blinking cursor exists, but I can tell you that with a legit Vista Ultimate install (directly from Microsoft), I have the blinking cursor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.