Problems Burning CD's in iTunes, message says "failed to calibrate laser power"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by raincntry, Oct 15, 2006.

1. raincntry macrumors newbie

Oct 15, 2006
    I have a Powerbook G4 with a Superdrive. The drive burns DVD-R just fine but has not been able to burn a CD in some time. At first I thougt it was the media but I have not found any CD's that work in my drive. I just upgraded to OSX 10.4.8 from 10.1.2 or some older version of OSX, and just recenly upgraded to iTunes 7 as well. When I attempt to burn a CD I get an error message in iTunes that says "failed to calibrate laser power" for the media. Any idea's what the problem is? I have burned CD's on this machine in the past just fine and it burns DVD's with no problem.
  2. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Try some other CD-R media. If that doesn't help, I think your burner might be going, for whatever reason (at least on burning CDs). Have AppleCare?
  3. Frisco macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2002
    My Pb G4 had the same problem and error message. It was the Superdrive that was bad. You could try cleaning it with a CD Drive cleaning kit. I used a cleaning kit myself and after the clean sometimes the CD would burn and sometimes it wouldn't.
  4. raincntry thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 15, 2006

Strange. I used a cleaning kit, or at least the forced air into the drive, no luck. I have varied the types and brands of the CD's used, no luck. What is strange is that it burns dvd's with no problem. My applecare expired in February, so no luck there.