Problems Buying a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wonga1127, Mar 20, 2006.

1. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Ok. I just approached my parents about my decision to buy a Mac. My dad, well, despises Macs, he's worked with PC's for about 20 years now and doesn't really see the point of having one. When I talked to him, he said that almost any job you're going to get is going to run Windows. I countered with the fact that some businesses run on Mac, and it'd be in my best interest to know how to use both. My mom, having no knowledge of computers, had no comment, other than the price tag. Eventually the arguement got worse, so my dad made the final hit and said that he'd ensure that no Mac would ever use his wireless network (he does pay for it). He continued to encrypt our wireless. If this keeps up, then there is no reason I'm going to be able to buy a Mac if i don't have internet, 90% of what I do on the computer is internet stuff. Any ideas to help him open up more?

PS: The funniest part of the story was when he handed down his old Dell to me (old, i dont even think it had a model number, manufactured 1999), we took about 10 trips to the Apple store because he was thinking about buying one.

2. direzz macrumors 6502

well how many years do you have until you can get your own place, and your own internet connection?

your father is right though. in the business world people use windows.

the nice thing about macs is after a long day of working with windows, its great to come home to a mac :) hehe.

3. Aramis macrumors member

Aramis

4. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Are you able to save up for one and buy it yourself? If so, then I see nothing wrong with that choice. No offense to your father, but if you want a Mac, then go for it. No one should hold you back from it.

But one more thing... this MAY change his mind... explain to him how a Mac can dual-boot into Windows now. This is a HUGE factor for a lot of potential switchers right now.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

So if you got a Mac, your dad would encrypt his network and not give you the key?

Ask him why. He'll have no reason to back it up. Maybe that'll make him think about things and change his mind.

It might also help to point out that a Mac can log onto any encrypted network (assuming you have the key), as Macs use all the same wireless standards as Windows.

6. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Yeah, that is another thing I don't quite understand. Would your father not allow you to access your Internet just because you went against his wishes and got a Mac?

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

^ I know, sounds a little controlling. If you don't buy what he wants you to, he's going to take away your wi-fi access. :confused:

8. mrwildguitar macrumors regular

mrwildguitar

I agree with p0intblank, I don't see what he could do if you save up for your own mac.

Kind of weird that he said he'll block off your internet access.

9. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Your dad sounds like a dictator. Try and overthrow him.

10. point665 macrumors regular

What kind of work does your father do with PCs? IT work? Tech support?

Basically what Im trying to ask is does his job involve fixing PCs...

I dont know what you could do to convince him. Alot of jobs do use PCs, but as I see it theres only two reason... The applications they need are not avaibled for Macs, or they've never tried a mac.

Ive personally chosen not to change career paths because the other one would involve using PCs, Ive used PCs for a good 10 years of my life, since I got my first mac Ive never gone back (my PC is maybe booted 2-3 times a year to play a game).

Dont know what else to say. What kind of career are you looking at?

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Your father is free to ask anyone here any questions he may have about
    networking with Mac OSX and other professional applications.

He should be glad that you are attempting to make a very well researched
    and informed purchasing decision.

The use of a computer as a means of generating income is why so many people are buying Apple Products.

Your new Mac will soon be able to run OSX, Windows and Linux applications
    without any major effort.

By all means, invite your father to participate in these forums.

12. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Just save up for one yourself and crack the WEP key, there are many OS X tools to find them. That's if he doesn't make the password stupidly simple (the password for the WiFi network at my college is the name of the server)

Most people I know who have worked with computers for a long time (20 years or so) have a soft spot for Macintoshes. Maybe he'll see the error of his ways when he sees how reliable they are.

It's not like you're gay, you're just buying a different computer. Jeez, what would he do if you started using Crest instead of Colgate?!

13. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Just let him give you a pc, and each time there is a problem run to him and tell him he should fix it, since he is such a professional pc wise and you need it really fast to do your homework. Do that about once or twice a week and after 1-2 months come back to him and tell him with a mac you'd fix the problems yourself. :D

Just joking, more or less......

14. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

There's no reason why you can't use a Windows machine at work and a Mac at home. It's not like it takes years to learn the OS, and many of the applications are either common to both, or exceptionally similar. I've used PCs for the past 15 years. I've used a Mac for the past 2 weeks. I have no issues switching between them. The Mac is a pleasure to use and handicaps me in no way when I'm on my IBM Thinkpad for work (right now).

Anything your Dad can do on his PC you can do on your Mac. He'll be showing himself to be a child if he refuses to give you network access to the router because you have a Mac, and I'm sure will pretty quickly back down one you have one. Unless he really is a child. He's also likely to be ooing and ahing when he sees the Mac in person. I always did, even though it took me until now to defect. The only thing holding me back was games. But the 360 covers that.

15. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

take it from me: arguing with your father will get you know where. You should present your views to him rationally, and logically, and if he still rejects them, well quite frankly he has every right to. Maybe it's now what you feel he should do, but fighting your father will only make it worse. You're young. Respect your parents' wishes and wait until you don't abide by your father's rules.