Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brangwendance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
We have tried to capture mini dv tapes via firewire to a 2008 macbook pro, processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 duo, memory 4 GB 1067MHzDDR3, Max OSX Lion 10.7.5.

We have tried using a Sony DVCAM, a Sony VX2000, and a Sony Handycam. We have tried via Final Cut Pro 6, which is what we edit on, and also as a test, via i-movie. The mac will not recognize any hardware plugged into it via the firewire port, except a firewire external hard drive.

Now we are considering getting a brand new imac....but we are concerned we will have the same problem with it. We understand that we can connect cameras and DVcams to the new mac via a firewire to thunderbolt cable....but will this work for capturing mini DVD tapes? We are film makers and have a great deal of footage on mini DV. Being able to capture is very important.

Please, does anyone have any insight as to how we can capture either to our existing macbook or to a new imac. We can't change the source material..its mini DV tape. Thank you.

Last edited:

antdfsc

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
Mass
We had an issue with a Mac Pro and an external HD, that would cause all other firewire devices to disconnect. Did you try any of the following:

1. Just plug in the camera?
2. Have the camera plugged in at start up?
3. Plug the camera into the external HD?
4. Try capturing in FCP as a non controllable device?
5. Try another firewire cable?

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
We have tried to capture mini dv tapes via firewire to a 2008 macbook pro, processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 duo, memory 4 GB 1067MHzDDR3, Max OSX Lion 10.7.5.

We have tried using a Sony DVCAM, a Sony VX2000, and a Sony Handycam. We have tried via Final Cut Pro 6, which is what we edit on, and also as a test, via i-movie. The mac will not recognize any hardware plugged into it via the firewire port, except a firewire external hard drive.

Now we are considering getting a brand new imac....but we are concerned we will have the same problem with it. We understand that we can connect cameras and DVcams to the new mac via a firewire to thunderbolt cable....but will this work for capturing mini DVD tapes? We are film makers and have a great deal of footage on mini DV. Being able to capture is very important.

Please, does anyone have any insight as to how we can capture either to our existing macbook or to a new imac. We can't change the source material..its mini DV tape. Thank you.
If your camera is not regnonized by final cut pro capture utility then you will need a analog to DV converter box I used this for my old dvcpro camera http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc110

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.