Problems Connecting Camcorder to iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sactowriter, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Sactowriter macrumors newbie

I have an Intel based iMac with 1 GB of memory and the 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo processor. My camcorder is older, a Panasonic Palmcorder PV-DV402. It has a firewire port, but my computer does not recognize it. What can I do? Help someone!

I tried writing Panasonic support, but no one responded.

2. metalray@mac.co macrumors member

metalray@mac.co

Don't have other applications requiring a camera launched other then iMovie. If that is not the case maybe its just to old for the computer to understand.

Easiest solution: Buy a iCam from www.apple.com

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I had some similar problems, here's what I did:

1. Opened iMovie.
    2. Plugged in camera via Firewire.
    3. Set camera to "Play" mode.
    4. Rewind tape to start of film.
    5. Switched iMovie across to Capture (at the bottom of the iMovie viewing window is a little switch with scissors on one side and a camera on the other, flick it to the camera)
    6. Pressed Play on the camera - the video began playing on the computer and the camera's built in screen.
    7. Clicked "Import."

I had to re-do the camera connection everytime I wanted to import a new clip but then, the camera's easily 8 years old.

4. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

When iMovie first came out Apple drew up a list of compatible camcorders. Then a few versions later they stated any camera was compatible. My camera is about 8 years old as well (and Panasonic, I think) and works fine every time. I shouldn't assume it's a compatibility issue. Are you sure the camera is set to Play mode? Have you made sure the FW leads are firmly seated? Just try tweaking stuff like Chundles said. Don't despair...yet.