Problems connecting to Windows workgroup.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pablo, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Pablo macrumors regular

I've got my new 17" Powerbook, a PC desktop pretty much used for file storage, and my wife's Dell laptop.

From the Finder, I went to Go>Connect to Server.

It found both Windows machines on my defined Workgroup. I was able to hit the desktop, but when I entered the username and password, I got an error (-50) in smb. Connecting to the laptop was hit or miss. I'm positive I was using the right username/password, and I even created a new account with administrator access specifically for this - no luck either.

So the only way I was able to transfer files was to reach out from the Windows box to the Powerbook...but that's not a good long-term solution for me, as I need to backup files and share a printer...so I really need to be able to hit the Windows box from the Powerbook.

Any suggestions?

2. cubist macrumors 68020

I've used this feature for some time and never had much trouble with it. I regularly connect to "smb://number106/c$". Make sure your share has rights for the username you're connecting with.

I think it would be nice if the error codes were listed somewhere. Maybe in "Mac OS X The Missing Manual"?

3. DeKa macrumors member

4. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the information...I'll give that a shot. One question, though. Is 'number106' the specific name, or an example. I don't need to use the IP address there?

DeKa,

I know what you mean. I wasn't able to find anything on google/google groups on that error message.

But I believe the drive (on the windows box) is set up correctly. I've been sharing/accessing it from the Dell laptop for years. I've had it mapped as a network drive on the PC laptop with no problems.

I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the 'c$' - I didn't include that when trying to connect from the powerbook. Perhaps it just doesn't know where to go once smb hits the box.

Thanks again.

5. DeKa macrumors member

C$ is a system share, not a user share.

You'll need to make another share (of the same drive) and you can call it whatever you like eg "C on laptop" or "C on server"

That's what I do anyway :D

Derek

6. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Worked great.

Now how do I go about printing off the HP Laserjet 1200 that's plugged into the Windows Box? Can I add it to my printer list as a networked printer?

7. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Also...is there any way to preserve this connection so that it's enabled when the Powerbook resumes from sleep or startup?

8. DeKa macrumors member

To print to networked windows printers you need to get GIMP-Print and install it.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

No, there's no way to make a connection stay on the desktop after you restart the machine. It should stay there after resuming from sleep though? Mine does...

Derek.

9. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Derek,

That looks like it will work for true networked printers, but I've got a HP 1200 SE that's connected via USB to a Windows 2000 box. So I have an IP for the box, but not the printer.

Any way to handle this?

Another option:

Can I connect the HP printer directly to my Powerbook (via USB) and share it (over the network) with another PC running Windows XP Pro?

Thanks.

10. DeKa macrumors member

11. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

To give even more seamless integration with your Wintel boxes, you could always use "DAVE" - makes life a little easier. Keeps login information in the keychain too so a bit quicker too.

Keep Smiling

12. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Derek,

I'm just a little overwhelmed at the moment. Got the Powerbook on Friday and it's my first go-round with OS X (and first Mac in over 15 years).

I do appreciate the help.

13. Pablo thread starter macrumors regular

Dave,

Looks good...but quite a bit more than I'm looking to spend for printer sharing. I don't do a whole lot of printing, so I'll see what I can do about getting connected...and if I still have problems will take a closer look at DAVE.