Problems copying over to a External FW drive

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Landshark, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Landshark macrumors newbie

Iam having a problem moving large files to an external 200GB FW drive from my powerbook (1ghz) internal drive and iam getting a "The operation cannot be completed because some data cannot be read or written. (error code -36)".

The drive iam trying to move to is a 200GB External FW that is daisy chained through a 120GB FW drive and then to my PB... It tells me i have 60GB available on the 200GB (the total i think was 180GB after formatting) I seem to recall that there is a size limit on the sizes of FW drives for the Mac... is this what iam running into?

Iam able to move files to the 120 no problem.. but i have no space left on it and i need to move 15GB over to the 200GB drive ASAP.

I have also tried deleting stuff to see if a limit was imposed but it didn't work either... i have almost 100GB available but iam unable to copy a file within the drive itself or to the drive from the PB drive... i have no idea what is going on but this setup works on my office workstation but this drive has been nothing but a problem since i have been using it on the road with my PowerBook.... i did get small files.. 1-2k to copy but i have 10-50gb i need to copy over/from and to it...

Iam using 10.2.3 on a Powerbook 1GHZ with 1GB Ram....

Thanks in Advance

2. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Can you flop the drives and see what happens? Can you hook it up straight to your pBook and copy large files to it to verify the drive is good? Other then that, I can't offer much.

3. Landshark thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i have tried swaping, direct and changing FW cables... iam headed out today to get a new FW drive to copy my data off this one to a new one and them Iam going to reformat the 200GB drive and repartition it to see if that works...

4. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Landshark, may I ask? What drive and firewire enclosure are you using?

5. Landshark thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Oh, I was just wondering because I was thinking about buying a Western Digital 200GB drive with 8MB Cache, but with an ADS Tech Pyro 1394 Firewire Kit that has the same Oxford 911 Chip. I just don't want get these products and have them not work. If you really want to make sure that your 200GB drive will work, then perhaps you should try the Western Digital 200GB Firewire Drive. Though if you are looking for a fast drive with 8MB of cache this drive does not have that. Although I'm not sure if a firewire drive can tap the entire potential of 8MB cache.

Cheers! :)

7. Landshark thread starter macrumors newbie

no idea

well it seemed to work fine with my Dual 1GHZ machine in my office.. but since i have been ont he road it has given me problems, so iam going to copy the data over to another drive and reformat the thing and see if that solves the problem.... i have posted this in about 9 forumns online and have yet to have any awnsers... so it mght be a bad drive... but we will see...

8. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

It's a possibility that that drive may not be made for travel. Bumps on the road could cause a head crash, you know.

Just a thought.

9. Landshark thread starter macrumors newbie

well...

well the Drive is fine.. but the OS (10.2.3) will only recognize 128GB... the drive is a 200 and i can partition it into 2 partitions but its 2 60GB partitions.. so in other words the OS isn't able to recognize the whole disk... is there some sort of work around that anyone knows or a firmware update/flsh update? anyone have any resources? I have already been to the XLR8 site... thanks in advance.

10. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I had a QPS with a Western Digital drive in it that fell apart. It cost me about a grand to get it salvaged by Drive Savers is Cali (they were wonderful - if anyone needs salvation, they are the best). A friend of mine then told me that the Mac store he works in repairs more WD than any other brand. This won't help you get your drive working, but it may point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Dan

11. Java macrumors regular

Re: well...

Time to tell Apple we need HFS++ hard drives. That 2gig limit is now up to 128gigs it sounds like. Guess someone finally hit the ceiling
    :p

Man, I hate it when my epic movie peaks at 150 gigs and 30 DVD's just won't cut it. Just kidding.

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Hey shrek - i've got the Pyro 5.25 / 3.5" firewire case, i love it. Only problem i've had is that they really didn't put enough room for cables in if you're using a 5.25 inch drive - i had to leave my drive sticking out the front a bit. But i use it exclusively for a HD now. Which brings me to a question, for anyone that knows bridges: can you hook two ATA devices up to one firewire bridge? I'd like to hook both my burner and external HD up at the same time... granted they wouldn't both fit in the enclosure, and i'd have to get a different power supply for the second drive, but would it work?

:)
    pnw

13. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

May I ask, what is the size (GB) of your drive?

14. gto2 macrumors newbie

Firewire drive size

I am new to this forum, but I wanted to add some info I have. OS 10.2 will recognize the large capacity drives. There is a problem with Western Digital drives and Oxford 911 bridgeboards, that will only allow it to see the 128 GB. There are suppose to be some revised Oxford bridgeboards coming out...I have the same problem with a Speedzster 3 enclosure from FireWire Depot and I am waiting for the new bridge. I was able to to put files on the 128 GB partion, and I have been able install OS 9.2, but I cannot get OS 10.2 to install on the firewire drive, even with a 30 GB drive in it.

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Of course. My external is 60gig.

:)
    pnw