Problems exporting a recording from VHS with EyeTV

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jimTV, Oct 17, 2006.

1. jimTV macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2006
    I wonder if anyone has had this problem with EyeTV, and knows how to solve it?...

I've attatched my my VHS player to my Elegato Hybrid, and recorded some clips.
    The recordings are old, and sometimes flash into Black and White.
    Viewing the recording on EyeTV is fine, the flashes are there exactly like the VHS and there's nothing I can do about that.
    But ! When I export that recording (to a Quicktime or MPEG, or anything), where those flashes are I get a 2 second pause and gap in the audio !!

What's happening?
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Macrovision gone awry, perhaps? Unfortunately, videotape transfers are only supported by the EyeTV 250, the Hybrid only works at all because you were lucky :(
  3. jimTV thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2006
    Nothing to do with Macrovision. This is home taped stuff. Nothing with licence issues (If that's what you mean?)

Elgato think it has something to do with Quicktime, and it's their software to blame. But I've noticed that if I go into the edit function in EyeTV, the jump in picture is about 2 seconds on the timeline too! Odd.
  4. Motley macrumors 6502

Dec 11, 2005
    What he means it that technically the eyetv hybrid does not officially support importing analog video only the 250 does (see the product matrix above).
  5. jimTV thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2006
    Seems to have been a problem with the digitising with Eye TV 2.3.1.
    I re-digitised with 2.3.2 and the problem went away !

Ta Da !
  6. macngirltosh macrumors newbie

Jun 13, 2005
    Will the Eyetv Hybrid do VHS recording, Unofficially?

Will the Eyetv Hybrid do VHS recording, Unofficially?

The only reason why I haven't invested in an EyeTv Hybrid is because the website says it will not record from a VCR, and I have tons of VHS tapes that I need to import. If someone can tell me that they got this to work, and that it was fairly simple, I would be so happy - and would order right away!!! :)
  7. gills69ca macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2006
    Yes it will unofficially. But it's not a hardware encoder like the 250, so your Mac's processor has to do all the work of digitizing the files. If you have a new Intel Mac, no problem!

This is the FAQ from the Elgato site:
  8. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    I don't know where this thought came from, it's just kinda in my head.

Anyways, the "black and white" thing you mentioned triggered a thought that it may be a PAL/NTSC issue. You might want to check your system and tapes to make sure you're using the same PAL/PAL or NTSC/NTSC.

If that doesn't work, then maybe I'm crazy with random thoughts floating in my head.

9. macngirltosh macrumors newbie

Jun 13, 2005
    Eye TV Hybrid to VHS

I have a new 24inch iMac - what would I use on the Mac to do the recording since the page says you can't use the EyeTV VHS Assistant?

10. xadiaz macrumors newbie

Nov 28, 2006
    VHS to EyeTV

I am trying to get signal from an AIWA TV which has video player incorporated, through a scart (out) and connected to a s-video cable, then to an EyeTV 200, and finally to my MAC. I've got Eye TV 1.8.5. I have set up S-video input, but I cannot get signal. CAn someone help me?? I have checked all cables and I don't know what else to do.