Problems installing 3rd Party RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XP Defector, Feb 28, 2007.

1. XP Defector macrumors 6502

I bought a gig stick from crucial, then I had to order some precision screwdrivers. I followed the instructions in the manual but I swear, the middle screw is IMPOSSIBLE to remove, it just wont budge and is driving me insane. I've already threaded a screwdriver. The stupid thing is so tight on my other screw driver, it actually just turns the shaft not the god damn screw when I try to unscrew it. I'm livid.

Any suggestions?

2. gers84 macrumors member

blow torch?

Are you sure your turning it the right way?

What ever you do don't use to much force you might de-thread the screw head and you'll never get it out if you do that

3. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm turning it the way the others turned at least.

I'm kinda thinking I'll never get it out now and be stuck with 512 forever :(

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

5. gers84 macrumors member

Would you be brave enough to take a drill to your macbook??

I'v only opened mine up once and that was to put a flue film under the apple logo

6. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the screwdrivers I used were totally rubbish, a cheap ebay job. I've re-ordered some with decent rubber grips and carbon fibre tipped heads so hopefully I can get a bit more torque to remove the little bastard safely. Not really impressed with it though.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I did it to my cousin's MacBook. Her dad stripped a screw trying to install RAM when I told them to just wait for me to do it. I drilled out other screws too, that was just the only one in a laptop.

8. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

Heh yeah I put 2 * 1 GB stick in my macbook recently and I really know what you mean.

Two of the screws unscrewed just fine. The third however was. Well you know.

I found pushing down on the scewdriver with one hand and turning the screwdriver with a pair of pliers did the trick in the end (pliers give you the force advantage of leverage).

The ram is also not the easiest to get in position either! But I'm sure you'll get there in the end.

9. TWLreal macrumors 6502

Am I understanding this right?

You put a blue film under the Apple logo so it shines blue instead of white?

Pictures of said DIY mod? And how do you go about taking the LCD panel apart?