Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
I have the new MacBook Air. Tried installing Windows 7 using Bootcamp - it lets me proceed all the way to designating the size of the Windows partition. Then it starts loading the Windows files ... the first progress bar goes all the way but when the second progress bar starts, it stops a tenth of the way through and doesn't do anything more ... the drive stops spinning.

Everything is updated under Lion ... I have to reboot to Lion using the Option key and when I restart Boot Camp, it asks me to delete the Windows partition ... I tried the USB option but then halfway through, it stops loading the files on the USB drive ... and says it can't proceed any further. Is there a problem with my ISO image that I downloaded from MS?

Bootcamp is ver 4.0.1. Am I doing something wrong ... I was thinking of going to Parallels instead but I don't want to purchase it if I can't install Windows 7 that way either ...

Any thoughts would be great ...

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Wish I could be more helpful, but you can try Parallels for free for 14 days. There's also VirtualBox which is free (but you generally what you pay for ;)).

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
I have the new MacBook Air. Tried installing Windows 7 using Bootcamp - it lets me proceed all the way to designating the size of the Windows partition. Then it starts loading the Windows files ... the first progress bar goes all the way but when the second progress bar starts, it stops a tenth of the way through and doesn't do anything more ... the drive stops spinning.

Everything is updated under Lion ... I have to reboot to Lion using the Option key and when I restart Boot Camp, it asks me to delete the Windows partition ... I tried the USB option but then halfway through, it stops loading the files on the USB drive ... and says it can't proceed any further. Is there a problem with my ISO image that I downloaded from MS?

Bootcamp is ver 4.0.1. Am I doing something wrong ... I was thinking of going to Parallels instead but I don't want to purchase it if I can't install Windows 7 that way either ...

Any thoughts would be great ...

Not sure mate. I just wanted to say that I tried to load W7 on the bootcamp partition yesterday on my MBP and it did not go through.. Once in bootcamp, the W7 disk does not get recognised.

Foz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Wish I could be more helpful, but you can try Parallels for free for 14 days. There's also VirtualBox which is free (but you generally what you pay for ;)).

If I use Parallels, do I need an anti-virus program such as Norton if I have Windows on my MacBook Air?

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
If I use Parallels, do I need an anti-virus program such as Norton if I have Windows on my MacBook Air?

I remember reading about this problem with apparent stalling, but cannot remember the fix. IIRC you had to reboot at the correct moment in order to proceed.

Regarding windows under Parallels , anti virus and bootcamp: Under BootCamp Windows can read the OS X files but not write to them. Similarly under bootcamp OS X can read the Windows files but not write to them so you are relatively safe. Under Parallels you can write to the OS X files so it is better to use some anti virus. However... it all depends what you are doing and how your backup / restore procedures have been implemented. During the past 10 years I have regularly been pushing my hardware to the limits and cannot afford the overhead of an anti malware program, Norton's is one of the worst and darn hard to remove (unless you install it using a special uninstaller program like Total Uninstall 5). Basically I have been running for the past 10 years happily without any anti malware running real time and every now and then in a blue moon I might decide to run something online like KasperSky or AntiVir and have not found anything. But then I do a restore of the "fresh install" every month when MSN releases their updates and make a new backup and I do not visit any other sites than my regular few sites that I know are properly guarded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.