Problems on the External Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by airkarol, Feb 21, 2006.

1. airkarol macrumors 6502

I bought the Lacie drive, which everyone recommended, but experienced problems already.

It sometimes starts making a very loud sound, I don't know what it is. There is no fan in the drive, so I'm clueless.

I was in the process of backing up about 50 gigs, then there were a few clicking sounds coming from the drive. It stopped writing and an error came up saying it can't read or write from a sector. Then everything I had on the drive didn't show in the finder window. The drive also wouldn't unmount. It said it was in use by another program.

I unplugged the drive and plugged it back in, and it worked. The data I already put on it was there, and i finished backing up everything.

Hopefully everything will stay there. The drive is in 2 partitions. There is one for Tiger, which is 10 gigs, the other 240 gigs.

Will this probably be a future problem? Or can I forget about it?

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Loud sounds are not generally a good sign. Maybe if it only happened once, like it was "settling in" or something, but even then... :(

I've seen a lot of people post here who love their Lacie's, but also a lot who have had issues with them (mainly with the drives themselves, not the enclosure). I've never used one so I wouldn't know, but if I were you I'd be taking it back (at least for a replacement).

3. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

I purchased the drive at the Apple store. In order to return it there, I'd ahve to pay a restocking fee, I'm not sure how much it is. I can try calling Lacie tomorrow, but they probably won't help too much. :confused:

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

They can't charge you a re-stocking fee for replacing it, not if it's poked,
    which they'll have to determine for themselves,
    while you wait
    and wait, :(

Or you could just hope and pray :)

5. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

haha, the drive is working fine now.. so I think i'l just leave it.