problems printing to a windows printer

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Seano, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Seano macrumors newbie

I have a PC running Windows 98 2nd Edition with a HP Colour LJ 1500 printer attched to it by USB. I also have a wireless network set up with a Powerbook G4 attached running Mac OS X 10.3.5. I am unable to print to the HP printer! Is anyone able to help me with an idiot's guide to this sort of problem? :confused:

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

You have shared the printer on the PC correct? Right click Netowrk Neighborhood (on the desktop) --> click properties --> Click on the File and Printer sharing... button. Then check off what you want to do. Might need the windows 98 disk or what came with the computer, but try it first without the disk.

3. Seano thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i did that earlier. i also set up a workgroup on the pc (not sure if that was the right thing to do) which the mac can see, but when i click on it on the mac, there is nothing in it.? maybe i shouldn't have set up the workgroup?

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Yeah, the problem is Samba (what the Mac uses to access Windows printers and file shares) only speaks TCP/IP, whereas the Windows 9x systems use the older NetBIOS protocol. To use the Windows printer, you'll need to upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows NT/2000/XP.

Windows-to-Windows sharing isn't a problem because Win NT/2000/XP understands both protocols.

5. Zeke macrumors 6502

I have this same problem with the printer connected to an XP computer. I can see the printer when I got to add it but the printer model is not listed. I've tried installing drivers to no avail. Any ideas?