Problems, problems...NOT!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Frank (Atlanta), Dec 31, 2004.

1. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2004
    I thought I'd make an atypical post, as any forum tends to experience sample bias - afterall, we come to these forums because we're all "sensitive" to whatever it is we own; want to accomplish with our equipment, software; etc. (I certainly see it on other forums I attend for non-computer related hobbies, interests, equipment, etc.).

So, my post: I've got no problems. Sorry.

I switched to Apple a few months ago (20+ yr Wintel user). Got a 20" iMac G5. No problems whatsoever. Not a single crash. No issues in moving from 10.3.5 to 10.3.6 to 10.3.7. No problems w/various software updates that have occurred. No fan noises. One small "stuck" pixel that I have to search-out to find (tried "massaging" it; however, it remains). Running FCE, MSFT Office, iLife apps, a Nikon photo edit program, etc. Everything just works!

I purchased an iPod photo 60GB last week, as we have a newborn son (so I can bore friends & family w/slide shows anywhere/anytime!). First iPod I've ever owned, as I've never quite bought-into the "MP3" quality (I prefer DVD-A's & SACD's). Is it the same as listening to music on my home audio set-up? No. Is it convenient and fun to use? Yes! Again, not a single problem w/the iPod photo. No audio defect. No problems syncing w/iTunes or my photo folders (do this manually, not via iPhoto libraries). Have been able to display photos (and PowerPoint presos!) w/the iPod photo on TV screens, etc.

I know the issues & problems posted by others are real & can be frustrating. I know I'd be frustrated if I experienced what others have.

But I did want to just throw out a post that's not often seen - everything's working fine & I'm happy! Afterall, why would anybody make a thread about everything being fine...

Happy New Year,
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
  3. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    It soon manifests itself that some computers, mainly those belonging to Frank (Atlanta), suffer from what is known as the Y2K5 bug, causing them to self-terminate at 00:00:00.0001 on January 1st 2005. :D
  4. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    I would have been able to say the same, but at somewhere around 4:00am this morning (judging from file timestamps, since I wasn't awake at the time), my G5 froze up. When I went to use it, I could still move the mouse pointer around, but couldn't click on anything and the keyboard wouldn't respond either. First time in two months of fairly heavy use; hopefully the last time....

5. Frank (Atlanta) thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2004
    You know, I did think twice about posting and the possibility of "jinxitis"! If the y2k5 bug had been more widespread, I could have made a killing doing consulting and moved-up to a dual-processor PowerMac!:)

I know, in reality, that I'll experience difficulties at some point; however, it sure beats having to reboot once a day/every-other-day (as I have to do w/my PC laptop)...

Sorry to hear about Eric's problems - hope they get resolved quickly & without hassle.

6. Logik macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    I do have had no problems.. bought an iPod (3G 20gig) in March (this year.. in 4 hours it'll be last year)... was so impressed i bought a 15" powerbook.. 1.33ghz stock unit which now has 768mb ram... works flawlessly. I'm already trying to find a way to get my parents to shell out for a new PM or this new "device" we might get in a few days.. and i've got my money waiting for Tiger.. weeeee... i love my apple hardware.. weeeee
  7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Ever since I took my iMac into the Apple Store to get a PMU problem fixed, I've had ZERO kernel panics! This was in early February of 2004. I get Unexpected Quits fairly often, and the occasional system freeze (where the mouse and/or keyboard stop responding).