Problems Reformatting External HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lifeboy001, Sep 16, 2005.

1. lifeboy001 macrumors member

Apr 18, 2005
    Hi all-

I'm attempting to reformat an external drive that was once in my old Windows machine- I have no problem reading file on the drive, but it as marked as read-only and will not let me write/delete. I would love to reformat this drive at some point and find a better use for it, and any advice on how to fix it would be wonderful. Thanks!
  2. yenko macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm assuming you're using OS X! Use Disk Utility located in the Utilities folder.
  3. lifeboy001 thread starter macrumors member

Apr 18, 2005
    Yes, that much has been figured out...for some reason, I cannot format (or execute any useful functions for that matter) this particular drive. The only reason being that I can see would be that is is designated read-only for some reason and I cannot change that...

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Disk Utility should be able to override any write-protection. Make sure you have the drive highlighted in the left column of disk-utility. (The actual drive, which is located above the volume.) Then select Partition, and select one partition (assuming you want a single partition) , name it, and click on Partition. See if this works.