Problems Repairing Permissions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by coolsoldier, Feb 2, 2004.

1. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

After updating a computer to 10.3.2 (from 10.3.1), Disk Utility will not repair permissions on the hard drive. It stops with an error "No Valid Packages".

Is there any way to fix this? If not, is there some other way to repair permissions?

Attached Files:

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

you can pop in your OS X install disks and open disk utility and fix permissions from there (look for em in the menu, i know its there)

On the other hand, you can boot up in single user mode (reboot machine and hold down apple+s when you see the gray screen you get before you see the Apple logo) and run fsck by typing in "fsck -yf" at the prompt which should look something like "root@localhost: #" or something like that (i got customized prompts so it will definately vary)
    If you're running Panther it will tell you to type something like "/sbin/fsck -y" if you want to make modifications, that's basically what you need to type, except you need to add the f flag (if you do it without and your hard drive is journaled it'll tell you to do so).
    Keep running fsck until it tells you that your hard drive seems to be okay.

If those two ways don't work, ask around some more, then reinstall. Good luck :p

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Just to clarify this a bit for those that do not know fsck is not the same as repairing disk permissions. fsck stands for file system check. It's a way to have the system check it's file system for problems.

4. coolsoldier thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought that fsck was the same as "repair disk" in disk utility, and that repairing permissions was different. But thanks for the information, I'll try that.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

yeah but it helps sometimes.

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's similar to the repair disk in the disk utility but at the root level it has much freedom to do what it needs to.

7. BassProCM macrumors newbie

In response to the ambiguity about "fsck -fy" and "safe boot":

"Safe Boot forces a directory check of the hard drive. This is identical to using Disk Utility's Repair Disk or the fsck -fy terminal command."
    - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107394

8. BassProCM macrumors newbie

@coolsoldier: This article will help you out:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25704

...so I noticed that this thread is over two years old haha...I wonder if anyone will actually read this