problems updating ipod video

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Jagsfan6116, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Jagsfan6116 macrumors newbie

Nov 25, 2005
    Springfield, VA
    Hey guys.. i just downloaded the new itunes.. and when it came up it said i should update my ipod video to 1.2 firmware. I hit download and update. After about 10 minutes now... it still shows it is updating.. but on my ipod it just shows the charged icon.

Idk what to do.. last time i unlpugged i had to take it in to restart it.

2. clintob macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    New York, NY
    1) Eject your iPod from iTunes.

2) If it doesn't do anything, Force Quit iTunes (right-click / ctrl-click on the icon in the dock and chose Force Quit or just Quit if that's available) and unplug the iPod.

3) Re-open iTunes without the iPod in, let it load everything up and sit idle for a second. Make sure there are no more updates to be had.

4) The plug your iPod in again and see if it will update.

There were a couple of times I ran into update issues with my iPod, but it's almost always a direct result of a corrupt of missing file trying to be placed onto the iPod. iTunes tries very hard to "make it work" so it takes a very long time and appears to freeze. If it does in fact freeze or never give you an error message, when you try the next time, turn off some of the syncing options (like don't put your movies and photos on). Then do it again, add the movies, and then add the photos, and so on. Eventually you'll probably find the issue.