problems updating to ver 1.2

Discussion in 'iPod' started by estee065, Sep 13, 2006.

1. estee065 macrumors member

I am running itunes on pc. itunes 7 installed no problems but my nano wouldn't update from 1.11 to 1.2 because it said that the firmware file was corrupted. Wouldn't let me restore for the same reason. uninstalled, re-installed original ipod software that came with my nano and was able to restore to ver 1.0. Re-installed itunes 7, same problem updating firmware. Manually reformatted ipod, scanned it, ran checkdisk, same problem. Anyone else having problems with the update?

2. estee065 thread starter macrumors member

3. Dino451 macrumors 6502

4. estee065 thread starter macrumors member

did it, twice in fact. Still no luck. I even installed itunes 6 again, uninstalled that, rebooted, installed itunes7, and it still happens. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

5. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Hey my fifth gen 30GB iPod (bought in Nov 05) won't update to software version 1.2 either. When I plug it into my iBook iTunes opens and it says my iPod is up to date! I thought that previous 5G iPods could take advantage of the game playing capabilities of the 1.2 software. Anyone else with the same problem?

6. Tennor macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. I've read a suggestiong that you need to restore the ipod..but i certainly hope not. I'm going to try the "soft reset" on the ipod right now....

....nope. didn't work.

7. abeyk macrumors regular

abeyk

same problem

i can't update my 5G ipod either :mad: itunes says its up to date at 1.1.2

8. Tennor macrumors newbie

I took a risk and hit the "restore" button underneath the "update" button in the new itunes/ipod update screen.

It didn't remove the songs from my ipod, but it did reset the ipod, and installed the new 1.2.

I love tetris!

9. abeyk macrumors regular

abeyk

how come it didn't erase any songs??:confused: I really want to update to 1.2 but i don't want my music erased

10. barnacle macrumors regular

barnacle

the 'restore' button scares me,, and i'm fearless!!

:eek:

11. abeyk macrumors regular

abeyk

Check for updates

click on help (windows) and in check for updates. it should tell you there is a new version for iPod.

12. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Dude!!! I am not clicking restore! I don't want to lose my music/movies/data or lose the info on my songs, like my precious playcounter! No, I will not restore my iPod!

13. Dino451 macrumors 6502

You do know all that is also stored in itunes. A restore will erase everything but once you connect it to itunes it will resync itself. I recently restored my ipod and it autoatically restored it to the way it was except for custom ipod settings.

14. abeyk macrumors regular

abeyk

yeah, good for you but some of us don't have all of our music on our computers (my library is on another computer and I wont have access to it for a couple of months) :)

15. estee065 thread starter macrumors member

Ok. Solved my problem. Found stand alone installer (2006-06-28) on the apple site and updated to ver 1.2 Hooked up to itunes and it showed my nano up to date. What a headache. I think this update could have used a little longer in the oven.

16. bboyskidz macrumors newbie

This does not work for me... and it makes sense why not as well...

release date of the ipod firmware = 13/09/2006
    release date of that firmware = 28/06/2006

there is a bit of difference in times.... :rolleyes:

HOWEVER, i worked it out.
    I had this exact same problem...
    apparently the latest ipod firmware was not release with iTunes 7.
    you need to check for updates (in windows "help > check for updates) and then it will look for the latest firmware. you can then proceed to click the update button and update your soon-to-be-gapless monster...:D

I was a bit terrified of the restore button as well, i backed up ALL of my data, music and videos and clicked that dredded button.

iTunes then went and told me that 'automatic checking for updates' was disabled and there may be a new version of the firmware. I clicked check for updates and up came the new version! :D

great...:( i just spent 3 hours backing up my data, only to find i could have clicked that "check for updates" button... *sigh*

hope this helps guys!
    (this is my 1st post and will probably be my last)

17. abeyk macrumors regular

abeyk

dude you should have read, I posted that you should click on "help" and "in check for update" :D

18. greenlight macrumors newbie

greenlight

My problem is that the ipod updater goes on forever. The Ipod wakes up, too, which I didn't expect. My speed meter shows no files being downloaded at all. I tried reset ipod, but that was neverending, too. After formatting my ipod I get the same thing. Tries forever to update ipod.