problems using a usb hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by loztheguru, Mar 11, 2007.

1. loztheguru macrumors member

i recently bought a usb 2.0 hub as i was fed up with having to swap all my stuff around, especially as my MacBook only has 2 ports. Anyway, ever since i began using my mouse has been acting up, jumping all over the place and brining up dashboard/expose with me clicking anything. Its on its own usb port, not plugged into the hub, so i thought it should be fine. Anyone got any ideas as to how I can remedy the situation? I really need the hub as im using an external HDD and a usb mouse, so Id have to remove one or the other to use a card reader/ipod etc. The hub is powered if that makes any difference...

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Just to isolate the problem, do you have the same problems with your mouse when the USB hub isn't connected to your computer?

3. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

its never happened before, and ive had the hub a day or so and the problems are frequent so im fairly sure that the hub is the cause.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

So do the controlled test. Take the hub off test the mouse.
    Put the hub back on, test the mouse.

Answering "Well it never happened before" is not sufficient.

5. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

okay, tried it without teh hub for the last couple of hours and no problems. Plugged it back in and within five minutes the cursor was twitching and my hotkeys were going crazy, so looks like its definitely the hub thats the problem.

6. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I'd try plugging the mouse into the hub and see if I got the same result.

7. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

the mouse was originally in the hub but i moved it out as i thoguht that might be the cause of the problems

8. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Is it a powered USB hub??? Many have an optional power supply. If so plug it in. Maybe you're drawing too many milliamps thru the USB port???

9. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

It is a powered hub and i ahve hte cable plugged in at all times, however when i tried to plug my kingston usb data stick in it said that i was drawing too much power from the port and should unplug other devices. All i was running off it a the time was my HDD which has its own power supply anyway, so im a little mystified.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I'd say the hub is bad. There's no reason it should be introducing spurious data into the mouse data. Send it back under warranty.