Problems using iTunes library on an external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iMatt mini, Dec 30, 2006.

1. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2005
    Central New Jersey
    I put my entire iTunes library onto an External HD to free up space on my main HD, and it works fine until I unplug it. I usually quit iTunes, unplug it and then plug it back in before I open iTunes again. But when I open iTunes again, it changes the location where it looks for music back to the default, instead of using my setting. Then it says that all of my music has to be relocated and it puts the "!" symbol next to a lot of the songs. It goes away by just playing the song, I don't even have to locate it, but this is annoying.
    Any way to prevent this?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    When you start iTunes, hold OPTION and it should give you the ability to select where your library is. :)
  3. lilyweeds macrumors newbie

Jan 28, 2009
    help with this same problem

I am new to the list and not as compture saavy as I would like. I am having this same problem with my Ipod Classic 30GB. i love it but after i bought an E drive i cannot get it to load my subscription podcasts. my problem is the same as the post from 2006 on this forum. I do not know where to find the OPTIONS mentioned in this answer and would appreciate some help in understanding this.
    thank you for your patience.
  4. jeffprop macrumors newbie

May 31, 2008
    I am a mac newbie myself, but I think the replier is referring to the 'option key' on the keyboard. It is only a solution for a mac, not a PC.
  5. drichards macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2008
    You should repair permissions if you're having troubles like these.